PDA

View Full Version : Why cant I select my own unique avatar?

lmacdonald
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
We chose to limit the use of avatars to information that is helpful to facilitate the exchange of information between GUA members.

It is useful for members to understand when you are interacting with one another, where other members are located. It is also useful to know when you are interacting with Kodak or with elected members of the GUA Board who represent your interests.

Currently there are restrictions on the use of:
Avatars small symbol that appears in your posts, beside your name
Smilies small graphical symbols of human emotion
Polling small surveys to poll fellow members on specific topics
Reputation assignment of status to specific members based on post count or post usefulness

sjohnson
02-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, Yeah, just like the government limiting our freedom of expression...

lmacdonald
02-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey - recalcitrant past-user association president - shouldn't your avatar be the GUA logo - are you flying anonymous? Hmmmmm - highly suspicious :)

I didn't think your government was limiting your freedom - just listening to your phone calls.....:):)

jlinville
02-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Amen.

... And why can't we choose our display name? Maybe I really hate my email name that was assigned to me. Maybe I want my screen name to be "Grand Pappy Joe".

lmacdonald
02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Jason,

Actually - I can take care of that for you :) We just needed a default for launch and folk usually remember the first part of their email address.....but if you'd really like to be "Grand Pappy Joe" (interesting choice :)) I can make that happen for you...

Let me know,
Lesley

sjohnson
02-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Hey - recalcitrant past-user association president - shouldn't your avatar be the GUA logo - are you flying anonymous? Hmmmmm - highly suspicious :)

It's kind of like a hunger strike for real avatars, except you don't go hungry.

sj

lmacdonald
02-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Clever strategy....:)

jlinville
02-10-2006, 01:05 PM
No I am not in or from Italy.

However, since I cant select a personalized avatar, I have opted to select the flag of the country of where I would like to be. So at this moment, I am wishing I was back in San Gimignano, Italy, sipping a glass of the rosso vino del casa (poor translation I know) overlooking the beautiful Tuscan countryside.

Tomorrow, who knows maybe Brazil (they have a cool flag).

Salute Cheers Bottoms up!!!!

lmacdonald
02-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Very creative Jason :)

You do paint an appealing picture for your virtual travel....

Lesley

sjohnson
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Jason may be on to something. Especially the wine drinking part.

sj

Rob Robinson
08-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Good to see there are personalities behind the (non)avatars.