PDA

View Full Version : Darwin and Transparencies

steve4
06-11-2008, 11:49 PM
I am currently trying a demo version of Darwin as we are looking to purchase it. I found that it does not work with transparencies, or at least this version does not. Has that changed or has anyone come up with a work around. I have a very complex InDesign job with several variable text fields all using transparencies. I know I can merge the data into a new InDesign file and export to PDF without a problem but I will be generating over 50,000 pages and need to be able to go with the PPML format. Any ideas?

pstuart
06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Which version of darwin are you using?

steve4
06-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Currently trying Darwin 2.0 build 024.

pstuart
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
What device are you outputing to?

ppml is your problem, it is still a postscript based format that doesn't understand transparencies.

You are stuck using PDF or PPML VDX if you want transparency support or wait till PDF-VT is available from Adobe and supported in Darwin.

The only way to make it work is to fake the transparency by flattening it or rasterizing your variables using image personalization or scripting photoshop.

steve4
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
We are outputting to an HP 5500. Thanks for the input Patrick I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. Just not looking forward to doing this as a PDF job. Very time and space consuming.