PDA

View Full Version : We need a "its Friday" group

rdarnell
03-03-2006, 02:06 PM
We need a "its Friday" group to tell jokes about Pressmen and Prepress Managers and Creatives. And then those that are easily offended can opt not to view the forum - like pressmen, pre-press managers and creatives, I mean.

kcoleman
03-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Why wait for Friday? It's been my experience that those folks are funny seven days a week.

wendytf
03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Friday's are the best though. We only work until 12:30 on Friday's, but our salesmen don't seem to start until 3:00.

eric.hauser
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi Wendy

Yea we get to wear jeans on fridays.
I vote for a Freaky Friday Club.
Never fails to have something freaky take place @ 4pm. We have had drives go out, jobs rushed thru (this is the most common), power loss due to construction 2 blocks down the road! Usually we fight our way out and the lithographic world does not have a clue. Whats your freaky friday story and Im sure you have one.

eric.hauser

Jonathan Burnett
03-04-2006, 03:47 AM
Hi Wendy

Yea we get to wear jeans on fridays.
I vote for a Freaky Friday Club.
Never fails to have something freaky take place @ 4pm. We have had drives go out, jobs rushed thru (this is the most common), power loss due to construction 2 blocks down the road! Usually we fight our way out and the lithographic world does not have a clue. Whats your freaky friday story and Im sure you have one.

eric.hauser

I get to wear jeans and t-shirt every day, only management is required to wear "business casual" the rest of the time. Other than that, my place sounds a lot like yours, I can always count on something happening to make friday a nightmare

eric.hauser
03-06-2006, 08:20 PM
...can always count on something happening to make friday a nightmare

He He,
I remember one friday we had a deluge of rain that reached our shipping dock level. We thought it might flood into our roll stock but it didn't, it only managed to enter into a conduit that housed electrical wiring to the middle bay of our building which happens to house our prep dept. We shut everything down just in the nic of time. That was a close one. I remember the drains we used to flow our processor fluids backed up and flooded our floor, which was not that bad but still it reeked! Thru it all no damages were incured and the pressroom did not suffer. Now thats Freaky! Not sure how they dried the conduit out prolly some kinda of blowers.
:|

eric.hauser

jlinville
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
My worst Firday memory happened when...

...I used to work third shift. So I worked all night from Thursday 11:00 PM to Friday 7:00 AM. Happy to be Friday, I spent the whole day doing errands and such. Then me and the wife had a date and I just never slept Friday. Then around 10:00 PM Friday night I get a call and have to come back in to work to remake some plates that the Pressman scratched. This goes on till about 2:00 AM Saturday. I drive home (a 30 minute ride). Only when I'm about to put the key in the door to my house do I realize that I just drove from work. I never even knew I was on the highway. Very scary.

eric.hauser
03-07-2006, 01:26 PM
...do I realize that I just drove from work. I never even knew I was on the highway. Very scary.

Hi jlinville
Yikes that scares me and Im not scared of anything!
:|

eric.hauser

PS- I can remember a similar situation but it was not fatigue related.

Jonathan Burnett
03-07-2006, 05:44 PM
We had a flood like that once, not sure if it was on a friday though. The water never got high enough to damage anything but I reember looking out the front door of the building and seeing a river where the street used to be. The water came up over the top of the cigarette-butt dispenser that sits at the bottom of our stairs. Where I usually park was flooded when I returned from dinner. I pulled into the lot and started to drive to my usual spot when instinctively I realized that the parking lot didn't look right, so I stopped and it took me a few minutes to realize that it looked a lot flatter than usual and then I noticed that the storm drain was missing and that the parking lot seemed to go right up to the big transformer that sits next to our building. once I figured out that it was water I found some high ground to park on and went in.

Another time I won't forget is the Brown-outs a couple of summers ago... we got all of the computers and equipment shut down in time... but forgot about the camera. It was an old one, all automatic, with a film roll feed that cut the film to the set size and a transport that conveyed the film to the processor after each shot was made, all controlled by solenoids. well the solenoids were toast clicking away and all you could smell was that fried electrical-component smell. That was the end of our camera and the start of our freedom from film... Vive la Digital!!! :)

Jonathan Burnett
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I never even knew I was on the highway. Very scary. I have a 45 minute ride to/from work. it doesn't happen so much anymore but the sound of the car combined with the monotony of the road, make it very hard to keep my eyes open sometimes and I have to fight to stay awake. one night I got within 100 feet of my driveway and I blinked and when I opened my eyes it was to see that my car was pointing off of the road at a house and a person was diving out of my way on their own front lawn. I hadn't really blinked, obviously, I had fallen asleep, fortunately I had opened my eyes in time to avoid even leaving the pavement, but it scared the hell out of both myself and my neighbor.

it's one thing to drive home and not remember it, it's a whole other thing to have almost hit someone and remember it vividly. Probably even worse to have actually hit someone...

bill_green
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I agree but it needs to be spelled Fryday. As you were.

wendytf
03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
ah, Friday. The day of the double posters. lol

rgoodman
03-10-2006, 06:59 PM
FRIDAY! FRIDAY! FRIDAY! woo-hooooooo!

Here's a link to a great radio station online that you can listen to while you work:

http://www.radioparadise.com/

Radio Paradise

eric.s.provance
03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm in but it would have to be a its Saturday group for me. Pretty much a six day work week for me.

The driving and realizing it things is scary. In a former job I drove alot on interstates. Once it was the end of a long day and I had about a 50 mile drive back to the office all interstate. I remember getting on the interstate. The next thing I remember is realizing that I was 5 miles past my exit.

rdarnell
03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Saturday can be the new Friday. In fact, any day can be Friday in this context, since Friday is more of a state of mind. Any day where you are paid half of what your are worth can be Friday. Or the sales person drops off a same day turn-around job at 4:59 so they can rush home and watch the rerun of Friends. That's Friday. Or your only operational proofer breaks down and you find out your serviceman has been laid off and your service contract is behind in payments. Meanwhile your manager has been in a closed door meeting all day with the CFO. Then you discover Quark bug #34,789,034 that brings a million dollar press down. And the guy that brought in the eclairs just can't stop laughing about that bulldog scene in Van Wilder. That's what Friday means to me. Any similarity to real and/or living persons and/or places where I have been employed in the past is purely coincidental.

eric.hauser
03-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey rdarnell

Any similarity to real and/or living persons and/or places where I have been employed in the past is purely coincidental.

Your killing me
ROTFLMAO
Im cracking up man
Just stop it will ya
LOL
:>)

eric.hauser

wendytf
03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
It's Wednesday. We have a customer who generally supplies us with good files. We're having an issue with an image that looks very brown in Photoshop - almost like sepia tone. Of course when pulled into Quark the image looks very different on the screen, but who cares as long as I know the Photoshop image is good.
The customer rejected the proof. Says it looks too brown. There should be more detail and the greens need to show up. (It actually looks sort of like that in Quark).
They want the proof to look like it does on their screen.
I've told my salesperson to have them send their monitor to me.
sheesh

rdarnell
03-15-2006, 07:05 PM
It's Wednesday. sheesh

My advice: Tell them brown is the new green. Then blame George Bush's environmental policy. Sometimes managing color is just managing expectations within the prevailing winds of public opinion.

eric.hauser
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Well It Happened Again Now Get This;

Last Friday All Is Normal Until Around 4pm When The I.t. Guy Strolls Thru On His Daily Backup Tape Collection Run To The Vault Thingy. He Just Happens To Look At Our Server And Lo And Behold Its Got A Friggin Racetrack Christmas Tree. Green Lights And Amber Lights And Red Lights Flashing Away. It Just Happens To Be His Last Day Of Work Here Also. Needless To Say A Long Weekend Of Scrubs And Rebuilds Flashes Thru My Mind. Oh Did I Forget To Mention That Our Prepress Manager Is On Holiday? Also To Add To The Drama Dells Warranty Has Expired So No Help There. In Conclusion We Came In On Saturday Morning And Updated The Controller Firmware Along With A Bios Update, Restarted And Everything Was Normal. Schweet.

Just Another Freaky Friday Story For You.