PDA

View Full Version : Vps is fine but missing fonts and graphics on plate

isanabria_jr
10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Has anyone come across this issue? PRINERGY EVO....
Please advise

robert.hammen
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Has anyone come across this issue? PRINERGY EVO....

What happens if you increase the VPS proof resolution > 1200dpi? Does it drop off the VPS then as well?

We've seen this with jobs rastered with the PDF Print Engine (we're using Prinergy Connect, FWIW)...

isanabria_jr
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I have not done the vps @ 1200, just lo-res. Should I try using the adobe CPSI OPTION?
thanks for your quick response...

robert.hammen
10-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I have not done the vps @ 1200, just lo-res. Should I try using the adobe CPSI OPTION?
thanks for your quick response...

Try both:

a) leave it at PDF Print Engine, re-rip at > 1200 dpi and see if the type drops on the VPS
b) try switching to CPSI

My guess is it's the same bug a number of us have run into... hopefully fixed soon (if not in 4.1, then in Prinergy 5.0)...

isanabria_jr
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks so much. You have been a big help. I hope to return the favor someday soon....
all the best... I will keep you informed though on my progress.

shunt618
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
we were told by Kodak that postcript input to the PDF engine is NO GOOD!!! be sure to use PDF input if you are refinining with the PDF engine, and postscript with the CPSI. I beleive in prinergy 5 the CPSI engine is only an option.

rob.morgan
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I beleive in prinergy 5 the CPSI engine is only an option.

Not true. Prinergy 5 has the same ability to pick either the CPSI RIP or the Adobe PDF Print Engine as you had in Prinergy 4.

Cheers,
Rob

jamie.stotz
06-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Rob, what about that other part of that statement about APPE not handling PS well? Any truth to that? Or is it just that since the PS file is flattened already there is no benefit?

rob.morgan
06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Rob, what about that other part of that statement about APPE not handling PS well? Any truth to that? Or is it just that since the PS file is flattened already there is no benefit?
Jamie,
Since you are using Prinergy Connect, there would be no way for you to even send a PS file all the way through to the APPE since all input files get turned into PDFs (with the one exception being PS bypass). In Evo, you can send a PS file to the RIP directly so it is correct that you can't send PS files directly through the PDF Print Engine. (Hence the "PDF" part of the name).

If you send PS --> PDF --> APPE, you should get very similar results as if you sent PS --> PDF --> CPSI since there would never be any transparency flattening going on in Prinergy as PS input files would have already been flattened.

Regards,
Rob

shunt618
06-24-2009, 12:15 PM
the issue we had was: all proofs appeared ok. the imposition was 4 up of the same file. epson ok, imposed dylux ok, VPS ok, however, on output to MAGNUS CTP there were artifacts showing up in two of the four positions.... when a service call was placed and our tech arrived, after numerous tests and a skid of wasted metal, the problem was PS input. when the file was exported as PDF and reripped through the PDF engine it was fine. when PS input to CPSI everything was fine. when PS to PDF engine, it was showing the artifacts, again, in two of four positions. we concluded that by default we were to use the PDF engine with PDF input and if there were issues then switch from there.... i dont know if that helps or not.... but good to know they arent doing away with the CPSI RIP yet!