PDA

View Full Version : SMB vs AFP

grmielke
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
We have seen considerable slowness with the AFP protocol from the Macs to our Prinergy servers. This has not always been a consistent problem but more likely to show up when we are really busy and have a lot of jobs on our Prinergy volume. When our Macs are slow the PC seem to be untouched and working fine within workshop.

Has anyone seen issues with AFP being slow for the Mac?

Has anyone migrated to SMB when upgrading to Windows Server 2003? If so how has the Mac connection been compared to AFP?

Appreciate any comments related to the Mac's and AFP.

Gary

slivingston
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Gary

We have made this switch for the same reasons. We have not looked back. Smartest thing we have done to improve our workflow. That being said, if you are a Prinergy user, I highly recommend you get on the Prinergy forum. This topic has been discussed at length in a few threads on that forum. There are some important factors to take into consideration before you make this move. You will see those being brought up in those threads.

Shawn

grmielke
12-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks Shawn, One other question. Did you find it necessary to move to Mac OS 10.5 on all you Macs? Currently we are on 10.4 for the majority of our production work stations.

slivingston
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
All of our workstations are at Mac OS X 10.4.11 except mine which is at 10.5.5 for testing purposes. Depending on what version of Prinergy you are running, you will probably want to stay at Mac OS 10.4.11. If I remember correctly, you need to be at least at 10.4.8 in order to have everything run smoothly. Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Shawn