PDA

View Full Version : Softproofing Darwin Files

stevew
01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Anyone have a good method of softproofing Darwin files?

In a perfect world I would like to have a method to take a PPML or VPS file into InSite so customer could softproof, or turn the PPML file into a PDF file that we could email.

We just had an issue in which a customer wanted a soft PDF proof so our designer exported the base layout to PDF from InDesign and it looked perfect. Then when they created the VPS file for the digital press the job was missing blends that were created with transparency affects.

I know how to create a PS file and distill it from Darwin but I would reallly like to create a proof from the actual file that will be going to the digital press. Any ideas?

Obviously the best way to proof a digital press job is to send the customer a real printed copy from the press, but we are finding in the digital print world...many jobs are very quick turn.

pstuart
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
That's why I don't like Postscript based VDP languages like PPML, VPS, VIPP, etc.

PDF-VT should, in theory, fix this issue.

In the mean time, I suggest you use the DFE / RIP ability to view / save the PPML or VPS file out as a PDF.

As long as your output device doesn't support transparency and the other 16 Adobe features in PDFs that Postscript can't, you will have this issue.

The PDF Print Engine helps with this, as long as your VDP authoring is in VDX or eventually the PDF-VT format.

Or just output to optimized PDF and let the RIP crunch through it. Except the RIP still can't handle PDF unless its a PDF Print Engine.

Sorry, no good answer for you until you have a PDF Print Engine front end, and switch to PDF based output for VDP.