PDA

View Full Version : Placing partial signatures first using Auto Select

Mads
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm trying to make a workflow for a 28 page job using the Auto Select in the Preps Signature Information and Partial Signature Placement in Template information, but I can't make the partiel sheets come in the right order. I would like the order to be 4+8+16.

My template includes a 4 page work and turn signature, an 8 page work and turn signature and a 16 page sheetwise signature. All signatures have been selected for Auto select and the Partial Signature Placement in Template information is set to "place partial signature 1 signature from first signature".

The result was 16+4+8

Whats the deal?? How can I make the order right?

tapin2
01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Reading the line as you have it Preps is reacting correctly. By placing the largest signature first, then 1 position FROM the front the partials. So change the "1" to "0" [zero] this wil then put the partial signature in the firstmost position.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Mads
01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Works like a charm!

:)

Thanks a lot!

roger
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Is there a 'how-to' tutorial on how to do the 'Signature Autoselection' stuff in Preps? What I'd really like to find is step by step info on how to set this up for use in the RBA sample rule set called: Create Imposition when Page Set Full.

Thanks,
Roger

monica.chow
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
The following should explain it. When using RBA Create Imposition, it is best to create a template with several signatures, similar to the Sample Templates: US Letter Tutorial templates you see installed by default with Preps, but stick to only have 1 signature with a specific page count, and not to have 2 different signatures with the same number of pages in the template, i.e. do: 16, 8, 4; don't: 16, 8, 8.

- Monica

From Preps Help:
Partial signatures
Sometimes the number of pages in a job is not an even multiple of the number of pages in the full signature in a template. To prevent an excessive quantity of blank pages in jobs and to use paper and press time efficiently, you typically add a partial signature to most templates. In the New Template dialog box, you can specify where to position the partial signature relative to the full signatures when the template is applied to a job, by default. (You can change the placement for a specific job without affecting the template.)

For example, a standard signature might contain 16 pages, but a job that uses that template might contain 88 pages, which fill five and a half signatures. Using a template with five full signatures and one partial signature, such as an 8-page work-and-turn, is less wasteful than using six full signatures.

If you set the partial signature to be placed 2 signatures from the last signature, Preps positions the partial signature in the fourth position of the job's Signature List:
Sig1 > Sig2 > Sig3 > PartialSig > Sig5 > Sig6

If you set the partial signature to be 2 signatures from the first signature, then the partial signature is third in the list:
Sig1 > Sig2 > PartialSig > Sig4 > Sig5 > Sig6

Levi
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
For a perfect bound book, we place the partial signatures 1st from last signature.
for example 76p book should be
16+16+16+4+8+16
however using my template the signatures are created like this:
16+16+4+16+8+16
How can I fix this? What am I doing wrong?
We are using prinergy connect with preps 6

tapin2
02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Actually you are doing nothing wrong, nor is Preps!

Let me explain, the 16 is consider to be the "full" signature, and the 8 is partial to the 16.

Guess what? The 4 is ALSO a partial to the "full" 16!

Thus, Preps because of the number of full 16's, Preps is wanting to follow the partial signature rule and thus positioning the partial 1+ the full, and since you have two partials, it is placing the full+partial+full+partial+full.

That is simply how Auto Selection with the Partial Signature works!

We are considering ideas for refining the auto-selection process, and your suggestion is already part of that.

Cheers, Patrick

Levi
02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your post Patrick.
Another problem I have with the signature selection, is that I can't use the MM (muller martini) 128c barcode. Prinergy (connect) fails during the import. After creation, I can open the imposition in preps (6.1 and/or 6.2) and can place the codes on the signatures, but this can not be the proper way of doing this. Preps 6.2 however allows me to "place on all press runs", which makes this procedure "workable".
Is this a known problem?

tapin2
02-23-2012, 03:17 PM
First, I am not sure which MM mark you are using, as there are actually two types. One from Preps called MM-bar128c.eps, and then there is another series that were produced for Prinergy. Both require some form of input in order to correctly be defined.

From Preps OLH / MM-bar128c.eps

The MM-barcode128c.eps bar code for Müller Martini’s automatic signature detection (Asir) or compliant equipment contains the job ID (0-4999), signature ID (0-99), and total number of signatures in the output.

Note: All ID numbers must contain numeric characters only. The job will fail to print or preview if an applicable ID contains any characters that are not numeric. If the job does not contain a job ID and the bar code requires the job ID, the job will still print, but the job ID portion of the bar code will be set to all zeros.

Since you mentioned that you are using Prinergy Signature Selection (PSS). In order to facilitate the use of the MM-barcode128c.eps, you must define a JobNote to tell PSS what the JobID will be!!! If you are using Prinergy 5.1.2.2 or greater, scroll down below the signature window, you should find the fields for the various Job Notes.

If you are using Prinergy that is older than 5.1.2.2, you will have to use Preps as an application in order to populate the JobID field.

Cheers, Patrick

Levi
02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks Patrick,

Filling in the JobId in the signature selection did the trick.

tapin2
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
As Mr. Burns would say... "Excellent!"