PDA

View Full Version : What is a .prp file?

tim.celner
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
We have had a mysterious Preps issue occur several times over the past year and a half so Im wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could offer an explanation. We have two main workstations and a third that is used on rare occasions. Well be going along OK when suddenly a Preps related file on the job or config share of the Evo server suddenly gets renamed to something like 10351169.prp. This can be a Preps job, template, mark file, config file, .pjtf...any Preps related file being randomly renamed. I think these .prps are temporary files, back in the day of OS 9 there was a temporary files folder that needed to be cleaned out every once in a while but I haven been able to find any information on how Preps deals with temporary files on OSX.
This is a Preps 5.x issue, we never had it with Preps 4.x. It has happened on Mac 10.4.x and 10.5.x. The Evo server runs on Windows 2003.

Thanks,

Tim Celner
Quebecor World
Mt. Morris, IL

john.och
03-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Tim,

Did you ever find an answer to this? I too remember the .prp files that you used to have to clean out in old Preps. They were in a temp folder that you had to point Preps towards.

Anyhow, on one Mac, we have been seeing our device configs get corrupted...a single one here or there. What will happen is in the Preps Printers folder there is a separate folder that is created for each device config. Inside that folder is a .ppd file that has the information for that device config. That .ppd file will get corrupted and the file size will go to zero. There will also be a .prp file in that folder that contains the .ppd info that used to be in that corrupted .ppd file.

Anyhow, I just replace the .ppd for this device configuration with one from another mac and we are good to go. But not sure why it is happening. And not sure about the .prp file.

I did a fresh install of Preps and it still happens.

-John

tim.celner
03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
John,

I opened a RC case for this but it was closed without a definite answer. They Googled the .prp extension and it shows Oberon Prospero which is legacy database linking program from the mid 90s, our IT dept. thinks it might be a proprietary Preps file. As a solution they directed us to choose a local folder for Prep Printers rather than a server which it sounds like you are doing. This helps a little but we are still getting the file corruptions, usually Preps .job files or PPDs and I think I had a template once.

I have noticed an increase in the problem when cloning Preps jobs and re-linking pages. Preps doesnt like this type of activity and even causes Evo to hang up until I quit Preps, I suspect Mac file permissions are somehow involved. As you said its not a major problem just an inconvenience. For now we quit and relaunch Preps and reboot the Macs more frequently which seems to help, Id still like to have an answer if anyone from Kodak is listening.

Tim Celner

Evo 4.1.6.5 ~ Preps 5.3.3 ~ Platesetter 3244 ~ Mac OS 10.4.11 & 10.5.6

john.och
04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Tim,

I suspect the Mac permissions have a part in it as well. I was just going to .zip archive the Preps folder from one Mac so I could move it to another Mac and it said it couldn't .zip it up because I didn't have permission to due to some log files in the folder and I think it said that The operation cannont be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for the corrupt printer.ppd. Even after repairing permissions and reboot I couldn't ZIP it up. I had done a clean install of Preps on another mac and I wanted to bring this copy over to that mac and use the Preps migration tool to migrate my templates etc. I ended up burning a CD of it as it would let me do that.

Anyhow. Thanks for the response.

-John