PDA

View Full Version : Sheetmarks not bleeding

SpectrumPress
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
We recently upgraded to Preps 5.3 and Prinergy Evo. It's been an interesting switch. We have our Preps .pjtf using the Press Sheet Size device. Very nice setup. Allows press scheduling greater flexibility. However . . . our pressroom supervisor is not happy with our sheetmarks. We generally run a tailmark that bleeds off the sheet as well as centered sidemarks and sideguide that bleed off. The Press Sheet Size device doesn't allow them to bleed off . . .

Is this fixable?

Thanks!

Candy
Prepress Department
Spectrum Press

roger
03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
That is the downside of using Press Sheet Size. I've been told development is aware of this issue and it's to be fixed in an upcoming release of Preps. - Roger

SpectrumPress
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Great.

No one in my pressroom is going to be happy with that answer.

I'll continue tinkering . . . maybe I can work something out.

Thanks!

Candy
Prepress Department
Spectrum Press

roger
03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Our method is print on Plate Size. It's values are the width of our widest plate and the height of our tallest plate. It was defined years ago in the Trendsetter as a plate size called 'Largest' and the ppd from there went into Preps. We continue to use it today but will change when 'Sheet Size_extra' is available. - Roger

SpectrumPress
03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Ah! Thanks!

I'll look into that!

Surly pressmen totally ruin my day . . .

Candy
Prepress Department
Spectrum Press

Lhaase
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
We have recently switched from printing to the plate size out of Preps to printing to the sheet size and this was also the biggest problem that the pressroom and the bindery had with the change. I couldn't find a solution to get the side guides to bleed off, but I did manage to get a center mark to bleed off the tail of the sheet. You just need to create a PDF mark that is a vertical line, registration in color. In your final output templates add that PDF to the 'SheetMark' section. It will need to be set to the top, middle, with a slight negative height offset.

This will allow your pressman to run a slightly oversized sheet (which common for us), and still have the center tail mark bleed off the sheet. No need to roll cylinders to force the mark to bleed off the tail of the sheet. This allows bindery to pull sheets out prior to cutting so that they can compensate if the side pull was not correct for a short while during the run....less waste.

SpectrumPress
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
We haven't used that function yet but have read about it. I will make some tests this evening . . .

Thanks so much, everyone, for the help!

Candy
Prepress Department
Spectrum Press

Printhead
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
We're also running plate size, and that allows us to bleed tail and side guide marks as well as put any other marks the pressmen may ask for.

digital@sig-1.com
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I've attached a pic of our setup, and our tail marks and side guides bleed off onto the plate. Maybe I am misunderstanding where you are setting your parameters. We are on 5.3.1 b 473
________
KTM 660 Rally (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/KTM_660_Rally)

jamie.stotz
03-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Ok, be honest, how many of you looked at that picture and then hit the cancel button in the picture when you were done? : )

sequoyah
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Not only does the cancel button not work, but digital may have attached the wrong picture to illustrate his point. You can't set any bleeds in that dialog.

Al

MZarickkfg
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Printing to your largest platesize is the way to go. We used to print to press sheet size until the pressroom complained about side guides and center marks not bleeding. We just use '0' for press sheet edge to punch center (plate bend) in the sig setup and shift the output vertically in the layout section of the template as required for each different press. The only drawback was the we needed to adjust out imposition proof template and can no longer backup tumble sheets if we use the same .pjtf file that we use for the plate.

Mike

sequoyah
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Printing to plate size will indeed give you the press sheet side guides and any bleed tick marks used for sheet alignment. But printing to your largest platesize is NOT the way to go.

Instead of using your largest plate size and shifting the layout for each different press, in addition to using 0 for press sheet to punch distance, set up a punch distance for the plate media size corresponding to the real setback for each particular press (in Device Setup > Device Configuration > Punch use half the plate height plus the setback). Use different names for same size media with different punch distances, perhaps using the press model in the name.

For plating, all of us always "waste" some plate area even when we run the maximum press sheet size for the subject press due to the need for the plate to cover the plate cylinder surface plus clamping distance. But for proofing, we all want to conserve material, so a proofing media size corresponding to the press sheet size used for the job would allow for tumbling the proof without waste.

Al Ferrari

MZarickkfg
03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Al,

maybe I am misunderstanding, but the main reason we print to the largest plate size from preps with 0 for plate clamp is we can have one .pjtf file and can plate it for any press at the last minute without having to go back into preps. I am currently trying to work out a solution for the imposition proof on the Epson.

Mike

SpectrumPress
03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Yes, it's true, we could set up to either the largest plate or we could define all our plates and circumvent this sheetmark problem. But we wanted the functionality of the press sheet size. We liked being able to move jobs from press to press without having to recreate the PJFT. Our scheduling improved and the amount of jobs that kept coming back to electronic stripping dropped. I tried to use the tiling function to allow a border around the sheet size for the marks to bleed but I couldn't convince the software that I really didn't need a tile only the border allowance . . .

And tail mark bleed wasn't good enough. Sideguide is imperative. I am still fighting with this setup. Any suggestions are welcome. I appreciate everyone's input!

Candy
Prepress Department
Spectrum Press

sequoyah
03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Mike,

I am at a disadvantage in the discussion because I am limited to using Preps as a standalone application and have zero experience with .pjtf, what it is, advantages and limitations. I print from Preps directly to output device, including ssicolor.ppd as a general device. So going back to Preps to output to a different plate size is routine for me. Perhaps for using this flexible .pjtf you refer to the largest plate size is the way to go.

Al

[Edit: I am reading up on PJTF in the Preps Help.]

MZarickkfg
03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Candy,

You can use a single .pjtf file to output to different plate sizes, we do it all the time. We just have one device setup for press output in preps, set this to our largest plate size, and use '0' for press sheet edge to punch center (plate bend) in the sig setup of the preps template. We then have different output templates in Pinergy Evo for each press with the plate clamp amount put in as a vertical shift in the layout section. This works for all presses, even the small duplicator press, since Prinergy will center the output side to side and just shift vertically depending on the template.

I hope this helps, if not you can email me and I can walk you thru it.

Mike

sequoyah
03-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the explanation and the help offer, but the reason I have no experience with it is that I use Preps as a standalone application. No Prinergy or other workflow; just Preps and the output device.

Al

demmons
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
LOL Jamie, I confess! Cursed Cancel button in screen shots gets me every time!

I just moved from the Web world where we were using Plate sizes and didn't have this problem. Now I am in Sheetfed using Press Sheet Size and I just got this problem presented to me.

Any word from development on this? What version will this be fixed?

roger
01-06-2010, 09:33 PM
In Preps 6.0, you can edit Press Sheet Size and add extra margin to sides, top and bottom of the sheet. - Roger