PDA

View Full Version : Digital Proofing

wvayoco5
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
We are looking for ideas for proofing impositions and showing the customer accurate backed up and folded/finished proofs.

We currently use an Epson 10600 with VersoProof to proof our press impositions. For most jobs two of these are output, 1 is trimmed and finished for the customer as a "digital blueline" and the other is left flat in the job bag for internal QC. We also send a color accurate proof off our Epson 9880 as the "contract proof" but these are output single sided and loose trimmed since backing them up and folding them creates a mess of a proof for the customer to handle.

Does anyone have another process. How about a digital proof that actually works from the layout and finishing specs that can be sent to the customer for them to page through electronically?

allan.larson
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Give them VPS installer and send them *.vps files.

If you have InSite, have them automatically put into WebDownloads so they can be grabbed easily.

Nice and easy and couriers don't like them.
AL

wvayoco5
03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks Allan,
This seems like it would work to show a proof of the press form. Do you know of a way to proof the finished product electronically? The trick being we would want to generate the proof from the ripped files.

allan.larson
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
VPS renders, just like the Final Output renders at 2400 so it's the same rendering engine doing the work.

PressProof is a tool for pressmen to view in a closed loop calibrated space for the press sheet. This is an internal tool that is dot for dot.

VPS is free and can be automated after refine and imposition to show the two-sided proof.It could be dot for dot or as low resolution as you choose.

Matchprint Virtual allows rendering of the pages with a closed loop ICC calibrated view of the page or spread with a qualified Apple Cinema Display or Eizo display.

There's content proofing and color proofing. Internal and External. Up to you to decide what fits for you.
AL

jminrod
03-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I believe what Allan has is exactlly the way to go . Unless you are talking about a folded up proof look to your piece. Then you could look into a plugin called digital booklet maker. I believ that was the name of it. It attached to our prinergy system and you could export from the pjtf and have a pdf come from, lets say a 16 pg sig and when the PDF was exported it would look just like you folded up the proof and the customer could page through all 16 pages as if they where looking through a book. Hope it helps

dwyers
03-25-2009, 12:58 AM
We use Sig Booklet to run to our Xerox 5000 and create a stapled booklet in imposed form or single pages backed up in sequence.

Proofs from our Epson's are used for accurate colour.

Dennis.

roger
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Dennis, where in the imposition output process plan do you control the stitching commands of the printer? or are you manually folding and stitching? tx, Roger

allan.larson
06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
There are some sites that output a Signature booklet (rinergy primary needs license) to a PDF file and send that to clients for them to output with all the marks on their own 2 sided printer. It would have all the Preps marks in it.

Under Layout in Loose page proof, under Layout look for Page Set Booklet. 2x1. There are settings for rotation, spacing in gutters etc.
Once output, they would manually stitch (and possibly trim) it and voila! Booklet.

AL

roger
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, but what I'm asking about is how to use signature booklet with a printer that has booklet maker hardware (folds + stitches). Where or how do we enable the folding and stitching within Prinergy? or to put it another way 'is it possible to select the impositions and send through a process plan and have folded, stitched booklets (11x17 paper with 8.5x11 pages) fall out of the printer? I don't see how it's possible yet. - Roger

jamie.stotz
06-16-2009, 08:42 PM
You would probably use the printer driver that is installed on the Prinergy box. Go to Start -> Printers, then select the print queue, right click and choose properties. If you need more than one setup, you can add a printer and set it up differently.

dwyers
06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Dennis, where in the imposition output process plan do you control the stitching commands of the printer? or are you manually folding and stitching? tx, Roger

We dont stitch our sig booklets just staple down the spine and use it for a mockup/section dummy.

Dennis.

edwarde
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I might be missing something, but what if you simply output a vectored Pdf from your imposition.

JHartnett3vp
11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Curious how people are dealing with the output speed when going to laser printers. I'm pretty disappointed with our results in this area. Sending a double-sided tabloid sheet on one of my current jobs takes 13 minutes. I realize it's a big file--75MB as eps and slightly larger as PDF vector, but it seems there must be a way to dramatically speed this up. We're using a Xante CL30 with 320MB memory (maxed out there). Checking into alternative devices now. Jim

roger
11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Note an issue here as we output to the laser printers as eps_raster. First off, these image in under 1 minute plus more importantly, I don't want reprocess eps vector or pdf vector files in any other rip besides Prinergy. Sending eps_raster gives equal confidence to VPS tiff files and 1 bit tiff files when plating.- Roger

stephen.minney
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
We have a booklet maker on the end of our xerox. Reader spreads are sent from Digital Blue Line and the spire is set to duplex, fold and staple. Easy. We also use a third party application to merge a cover sheet to the dyeline, extract the job number from the filename, do a lookup into out MIS database our use variable data to fill in the job name, client name, CSR name etc. I would love to put a foredge trim on the xerox to make it look a little more presentable or even a square fold for larger sections would be nice.

Steve

JHartnett3vp
11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Roger and Steven -- it seems that you are getting lasers out much more quickly than I am. Can you tell me a bit about your devices? I'm wondering if I've reached a limit due to the 320MB memory or I've just got a setting wrong somewhere in Prinergy or the printer driver.