PDA

View Full Version : GUA 2009 & ColorFlow ROI

tclifford
04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Everyone...

I know that talk of the GUA 2009 conference may not be as high on anyone's priority list at this time of the year with economy panning out the way it is, but let me see if I can make a case for sending someone to the GUA and change your mind. The ROI makes a pretty good case, follow along. I was able to get 3 other fellow RRD'ers to come with this ROI alone..

I feel that one person from each customer site should go to the GUA 2009 conference this year. Why is that..? One word, ColorFlow.

ColorFlow is the new color management engine to be released in July and will be included in all versions of Prinergy 5.1 and above. This tool was showcased at the 2008 GUA conference with rave reviews...Kodak is ready to pull the wraps off this officially and we at the GUA will get the first crack. A basic version of ColorFlow is built into Prinergy 5.x but the more advanced version, which you would need for color calibrating proofs and building curves for your platesetters, costs $5,000. So each plant will need this software when they upgrade to Prinergy 5. Yes, there is ColorFlow built into Prinergy 5.1, but its basic in feature set, I'm betting you will need the more advanced version. With the $4,000 GUA software credit that each attendee gets, you can purchase ColorFlow for $1,000.00 AND get training* at the conference all rolled into the cost of attendance.

Lets look at the numbers...

Attend GUA

2009 Registration By April 15.....$1,095
Sample airfare to Orlando..... $300
Hotel Room $180 x 4 days..... $720
--------
Total exposure .....$2,115

Kodak has extended its GUA Software credit to $4,000 is we sign up for the conference by April 15th.

What does this mean for you and your business and why does this make good business sense for you? Many of you will need to spend $5,000 this on ColorFlow. This is pretty much a given as you will most likely be moving to Prinergy 5 at some point.

Purchase Color Flow Outright - NO GUA Attendance

ColorFlow ..... $5,000
OnSite Training 1 day .....$2,000
----------
Total .....$7,000

Purchase Color Flow with GUA Credit

ColorFlow .....$5,000
Training at GUA Conference .....$1,000
Kodak Credit .....($4,000)
----------
Total Cost .....$1,000

Add Cost for the Conference .....$2,115
--------
NET COST ColorFlow & GUA..... $3.115

Savings Purchasing ColorFlow Alone = $3,885

PLUS you get all the benefits of the GUA conferences
Meet Prinergy and InSite developers 1 on 1 to talk over features network,
Learn how to build efficiencies into our current Kodak workflows--
See future Kodak products to keep one step ahead of our competition

*The GUA 2009 conference sessions are not designed or setup to replicate the on-site training page by page. But the classroom sessions along with lab sessions do make it ideal to learn, ask questions and build the relationships you need so when you do install ColorFlow, you have an network of resources to lean on.

smiller
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Sounds really great, except we won't be attending to get a credit that allows us to purchase something that should be free...If I'm not mistaken colorflow will replace harmony (which we have). If that's the case, and if plate curve capability is only offered in a version of colorflow that costs $5000.00, Prinergy will be on it's way to the grave at Quality Graphics!!!!!

The best way for Kodak to promote their products is for them to be offered on reasonable terms at a reasonable price, including service and training. So far we've seen none of the above.

I won't speak for others on the forums, but we don't have the resources of a RRD. Spending one extra dollar to travel anywhere is not in the budget when we are struggling just to keep the doors open and pay employees. I for one don't appreciate a ROI pitch that I can clearly figure out for myself, especially when it is based on spending money to save money...I've heard that one at home!

tclifford
04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve,

Great feedback. I appreciate it. This ROI thing was not supposed to be a "well RRD is so much bigger, they can afford this." It was supposed to be "it worked for me, it might work for you deal."

I know a small 7 million dollar shop that is sending 3-4 people to the GUA this year. I know itís tough, I just don't want to think I'm throwing weight around, when I'm not. I'm just trying to helpÖ thats all. If your GM makes the call after having all the facts I canít argue with that business decision. He is doing what he feels is best for your shop and business climate.

Color flow is included with Prinergy 5.1 but the more advanced capabilities to edit and create device link profiles will only be in the pro edition. Since the software is not yet released I do not have a good handle on what it can do and what it can not do with regards to our plate curves.

Honestly, I feel that the GUA sells itself without the colorflow ROI. What better way to learn how to do things more efficiently and get the most out of your workflow then to meet with others who are in the same boat..plus you get software credit to boot. If you toss your $50,000+ Prinergy install out the door due to a $5,000 software issue, then there certainly are more issues then just ColorFlow. There are more then 350 other possible options to spending your Kodak software credit on then just ColorFlow. RBA, APA, InSite, Link, --preps.. The list goes on and on.

This was just one case for one company I thought might help.

glennt
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Is there a link to what this software actually does, I can't find anything on ecentral. I'm trying to sell the idea of sending someone to the conference, what does this do that we can't do already? I need specifics like can we create GCR/UCR profiles with it?

pstuart
04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
GUA isn't about ColorFlow or any specific Kodak product.

Its a user's group, a gathering of people, using Kodak products, hearing from Kodak product managers, executives and the like about where Kodak needs to go with their products and how users are using (or not using) their products.

The credit is nice and very gracious on Kodak's part (find me another company willing to offer such a credit) but the conference is well worth it, even if you don't have Kodak hardware or software to buy in the next 6 months.

I think Tom was just picking up on the significant "buzz" ColorFlow has gotten over the years and given the hype, I think it is great that Kodak is going to have its "coming out" party as part of GUA 2009.

With that said, I understand the economy is taking its toll on printers, we are all having to do more with less. If anyone wants help in convincing their management / bosses / owners with reasons to come to GUA, I am sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to be references for the GUA Conference and its benefits. I would be more then happy to vouch for the many reasons one should attend GUA. No other conference hosted this year will give you a better understanding of how to maximize the hardware and software you already own from Kodak. That's the real selling point, the credit is just icing on the top.

david.herder
05-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Just to clarify one point, the ColorFlow Workflow edition (1.0) will be available with Prinergy 5.1 and does include print and plate curve creation and editing. Furthermore, we have an advanced Gray Balance Print Calibration curve creation method built into this edition. The Pro Workflow Edition allows all the functionality of the Workflow edition, with the additional capability of DeviceLink and Device profile creation as well as DeviceLink profile editing.

Steve, if you need further details or a demonstration of the product, please feel free to contact me offline.

regards,
dave

paulh
07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Is there any update on ColorFlow? Has it been released? I see the User Manual is available on eCentral. Is the pricing that Tom gave still correct? Trying to budget...

Arjen van der Meulen
07-30-2009, 04:25 AM
quick update: ColorFlow 1.0 will be released on August 17, together with Prinergy 5.1. The Ink Optimization option will be part of ColorFlow 1.1 and will be released in September during Print 2009.
The Standalone version, released with ColorFlow 1.2, will be released in November 2009.

All pricing will be available August 17, all information material will be available on the Kodak website on that day as well.

ciao,

Arjen.