PDA

View Full Version : Prepress Quality Control

mark_jetzer
04-18-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a question about how everyone here handles Quality Control in prepress. I'm not talking about color management, retouching, how good the proofs look, or if there are defects on the plates. I'm talking about the process. The checks and balances to make sure that file to proof to plate match, all the marks are there, the screens are correct all that other stuff.

In a nut shell the quality of the workflow. Are job tickets checked? How do verify that the file and signed of proof are matched? How do you check that all the marks are on the plates, the right set backs, bleeds? Do you use checklists? A QC person?

Thanks for any input.

dwyers
04-19-2009, 11:22 PM
We have always worked with checklists (both Imposition measurements and Sig Booklet visual checks), which have gradually grown smaller with the introduction of preps marks on upfront templates and Insite file checks by customers.

Our Imposition checklist is a single check but our Sig Booklet checks are a double person check with a plate checklist as well. It seems to keep everyone on their toes.

Dennis.

David G
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I have thought of this question. The company I work for has three locations. We work as a spoke and hub, with my location being a hub. I physically check all jobs by using the VPS with Workshop. The proofs are coming from another location and I know the VPS is what will plate at this location. When in the VPS, I measure eveything: the plate size, the paper size, the mark back, the page size of the finished piece, etc. I have created a check list of all the measurements and the marks to make sure they are on every job that is produced on press. We run with four different presses but the marks we use are universal on each press. We are getting ready to go live with Insite and I am curious what results I will get from this. I rely heavily on proofing the VPS.