View Full Version : Details on my 3 hour InSite InfoSheet class

05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't exactly know its title, but here's a description and outline.

Given the economic environment these days, I am trying to create a class that does not require the latest and the greatest software, so the many things we will be doing can be done in older versions of inSIte as well as the most recent. Nearly half the class is spent on Upload InfoSheets, so later versions of inSite will benefit the most, but a lot of the stuff we do with UIS can apply to customizing JIS. Also, while we may be using Adobe CS4 in the process, the things we will be doing apply to CS3 as well.

The InfoSheets we will be making are not specific to a certain kind of workflow, so they can be applied to many different graphic production environments that we all work within. So we will not be making InfoSheets that automate impositions or cook omelet breakfast sandwiches in class, but you may feel more comfortable tackling something unique to your workflow after this class. Or bring a Flash drive and steal mine.

You do not need to know any XML or programming, but you should want to deviate from the provided default InfoSheet you currently probably don't use.

So far the class looks like this:

Outline Details:

We will start with the UIS.

√ Exercise #1: Create a development environment for your own InSIte IS.

√ Exercise #2: Create a simple custom UIS for the purpose of uploading a custom JIS into an individual job.

√ Exercise #3: Create an UIS for QC checkpoint purposes *uploading files as a bridge unifying the Adobe desktop with the Kodak server workflow.

Then on to the JIS.

√ Exercise #4: Create/Edit a JIS from the existing Kodak supplied default, as a simple QC checkpoint within the Kodak workflow.

√ Exercise #5: Create a JIS from a XML export from a non-Kodak source, and then round-tripping back into the non-Kodak source, after capturing InSite user data.

There may be more...

I plan to update this thread on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
For those of us that don't know much about InSite can you explain:

QC checkpoint

Is this something that is happening at GUA?

05-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm Just guessing:

QC checkpoint

InfoSheet = in The summary Tab of the job in InSite Prepress Portal (iPP), your customer can add info about the production of the job. You can customize this and use the generated xml values with RBA

UIS=Upload InfoSheet. You can customize the upload window your customer gets when he clicks the upload button in a Job in iPP.

JIS=Job InfoSheet

QC checkpoint = Quality Control Checkpoint.

05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
If your go the the summary tab of an InSite job, you will find Job InfoSheets located above notes. It is basically an editable electronic job jacket that is digitally stored inside the job. InSite is installed with generic "default" InfoSheet templates on the server, that are rarely used in jobs as InfoSheets, because they are not specific to anyone's workflow.

So the irony here is, in order for a class to customize our own InfoSheets, we will be working on our own version of generic "default" InfoSheets. I chose the QC checkpoint as type of InfoSheet that might apply to many different workflows, so you would have something to take home that is possibly useable, or at least different from the Kodak supplied InfoSheets. But the main thing is to see how you can make one as a class, and then you can try making a more unique one just for your workflow when you get back home.

The Upload InfoSheet is in later versions of inSite. This one allows you to enter info into a job at the time of uploading files. it is a simpler InfoSheet, and therefore the one we start with in class.

You can combine the use of InfoSheets with RBA and other things, but the emphasis of this class is customizing InfoSheets. There are separate RBA classes at GUA.

07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I have been trying to create some upload info sheets to use with InSite. Unfortunately my XML skills aren't the greatest so I happen to be running into some roadblocks. I have been trying to modify the default XML file that comes with InSite. I am trying to get the upload window to show the upload processing rules that I currently have set up so that they can process files according to press/papertype/color.

Thanks in advance,