PDA

View Full Version : 2009 (Marketing) GUA

gerowa
05-29-2009, 11:22 PM
I have never posted an opinion on a forum but I want to know how others felt. First I would like to say it was very well done. The organizers did a great job and the Kodak employees were amazing in their expertise. I learned many things that will benefit my company. I do though, have 1 issue.

What was with the Keynote by Jeff Hazlett? Why do a presentation about yourself? Talking about branding at a technical conference? In my opinion we were the wrong audience, or he used the wrong presentation.

jbarlow
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
It was my first conference so I can't compare the early morning speeches to others in the past. I admit I had a strange feeling about both - I was ready to move on to the sessions after the first few minutes. But, given the times, both were little pep rallies to start the day in the "It's bad, but adapt and move on" variety. Literally, early morning wake up calls, I guess. I did think the Hazlett speech was a bit heavy on the apprentice stuff, but overall it was interesting and I'm still talking about it a week later. Truthfully, I'd rather have been in a class though.

Myself, I have no problems with gray boxes, I just want something that works.

jbarlow
05-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I would like to add that the conference was great, despite the weather, which actually kept me inside in the evenings focused on going to the labs, networking, etc. The Kodak people are awesome. There was seldom a time when one wasn't approaching me asking my opinion on something or genuinely concerned about how the product is working in my environment. The GUA staff was great and I'd probably buy tickets to the Tom Clifford show if it came to town.

mark_jetzer
05-30-2009, 03:43 PM
OH NO, don't say that - Tom doesn't need anymore encouragement. (just kidding Tom.) The second Kodak Keynote was a little to Rah Rah for me. Last year we had Kodak Keynote too. Both were interesting to listen to, but really didn't give me much other than - "Hey We're Kodak and we think we're doing pretty good." Now, that's nice and all to know the company my prepress department has hitched it's horse to is in good shape (at least the Graphics part.)

I think would have liked a more prepress/print specific keynote. What do they see as trends in the printing business, what are their sales, research people seeing. I don't care about consumer inkjets, digital photo frame. I care about digital presses, plates, prepress software, the state of the industry. (which we got in the first Keynote)

I want to know Kodaks direction in Print for next 5, 10 years.

jbarlow
05-30-2009, 04:00 PM
True that.

stephen.minney
05-31-2009, 05:45 AM
I would have to agree with Al. We travel for quite some time to attend a technical conference that provides us with valuable information and to develop key contacts within Kodak that will help our business remain both competive and at the leading edge. The last thing I really want to hear is how a bloke won a steak from a guy named Donald Trump. Did he win a set of steak knives as well?

Seriously, I thought it was a great conference and a great effort by all especially considering the economic times we are in and look forward to more in years to come.

Maybe a better idea would of been to have Nick demonstate all the new products and how they all interact highlighting the new features. We could then go into the lab and learn more about how those new features and product will help our business and to spend more $$$ with Kodak.

Hope all returned from the conference intact. It is Sunday 31st may here in Australia and I still in home isolation after a swine flu scare, so long conference indeed this year. Maybe Jeff can send me his video so I can pick out all the reds and yellows he used to fill in my time. Either that or a nice steak!!!

Steve

tclifford
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
The GUA staff was great and I'd probably buy tickets to the Tom Clifford show if it came to town.

THANKFULLY there is NO Tom Clifford show and it WILL NOT be coming to any town near you...

jaxtell
06-01-2009, 06:24 PM
What was with the Keynote by Jeff Hazlett? Why do a presentation about yourself? Talking about branding at a technical conference? In my opinion we were the wrong audience, or he used the wrong presentation.

It was quote colorfull, though....but I agree with Al.

I think we were the people wandering why Kodak pulled out of NASCAR.

Now we know.....

jerry

dwyers
06-02-2009, 06:07 AM
THANKFULLY there is NO Tom Clifford show and it WILL NOT be coming to any town near you...

Damn Tom i thought you were going to be door knocking for the next GUA like in the intro video you did....

Dennis.