PDA

View Full Version : SBI vs SPOT Colors in Marks

Prepress Pro1
09-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I posted this last week in the workflow forum to no avail. Perhaps I was posting to the wrong forum so here we go.
We switched/migrated from the Brisque to Prinergy and I'm still getting SBI colors in my color lists when sending .pjtf files to my Trendsetter. Is there an easy way to get rid of all the SBI colors? What am I missing? I have gone through the marks we use and can't seem to find any SBI colors in them. Any suggestions as to what to try next would be appreciated.
Here is what I see in the color list when submitting a job to plate or proof.

ssutton503
09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Holy smokes! That's quite a list of colors you have there. :-O
Just what is an SBI color anyway?

A couple of thoughts I have - You seem sure that the SBI colors are coming from the marks you are using. Are these marks that can be edited in a program like Illustrator? Maybe copying the marks and pasting them into a new document and re-saving would eliminate the SBI colors. The other thought I have is to run your marks through the Refine queue in Prinergy and convert the SBI colors to Process or map the SBI colors to some other plate. Maybe you would wind up with a mark that had just the colors you want.

I would be interested in looking at one of your mark files if you wanted to post it.

edwarde
09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
There is a set initial separations setting that when disabled fixes this issue, but will wreck havoc with everything else when not on. If you delete the imposition and create a new one, only the colors in the file should appear. I have contacted Kodak's response center and got no where. They can't seem to understand why I would want only the colors in the file to appear. They see no harm in having random colors that are generated via SB1 or PMS marks floating around in Prinergy even thought they are not used anywhere.

Prepress Pro1
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Thank you both for your reply's. I am going to try to track down the marks which are causing colors not in the mark file to show up.
To answer the question

Just what is an SBI color anyway?

They are legacy placeholder colors which were used in the Brisque impose workflow (Scitex before Creo and Kodak) for marks and color bars. Now Kodak has Spot 1, Spot 2, etc. in Brisque it was SBI 1, SBI 2, etc.

Edwarde, I assume the setting you are referring to is in Preps. Where is this setting? I don't think I will use it, unless it is as a last resort and only if tested thoroughly.

edwarde
09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
SB1 and Spot1 and PMS1 are all variable color holders for Press register marks for presses that have automated registration systems such as CC1.
They are very useful and all 3 naming conventions mentioned above work with Prinergy. The set initial separations is in Prinergy under the Process Template Import all/Import.

Ed

Prepress Pro1
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
SSUTTON,
Your fix worked. I copied and pasted into a new Illustrator file saved as .eps. made a PDF mark from it and BAM problem solved. Those ol' eps files get corrupt and colors which aren't in the pallet somehow still show up in the color list Prinergy sees.

Thanks for the feed back and help with this issue.