PDA

View Full Version : JDF Export from Upfront and Preps, whole imposition Data?

sam
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I am trying to determine what layout info can be exported from Upfront in JDF. I have a screen shot of 3.0 attached here that says there is JDF Export capability. This is not necessarily a JDF imposition export?? But, I'm not sure if this is enough to specify a layout in JDF, The Menu Reads.

Preps Files, JDF Intent, JDF Cutting, JDF Folding, JDF Binding.

I am told that Preps can export a JDF File, but I see no capability in my version of Preps. I checked my preps and it's Preps 5.1.4 (build 4:87) preps plus for brisque.

I see no menu item or functionality to export a JDF, is this only in Preps Pro? You look in the Help menu and it gives you a Creo splash screen, that's so weak...

nick.benkovich
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
UpFront JDF export is JDF stripping ( a high level description of a lyout ). This JDF file containing the Stripping information can be opened in Preps and a final JDF layout including marks flats can be written.
Preps will directly output a JDF layout compliant to JDF 1.2 and the LayoutCreation ICS 1.0 either from an imported JDF as above or from a job created in Preps.
Either Preps Plus or Preps Pro will output JDF but not from a Brisque Job. A Brisque Job is defined as containing Brisque .job files and cannot be output as a JDF. Any Preps Mixed Files or PDF-PDF job can be output as JDF.
In regards to your comment about help we are planning a free upgrade to Preps 5.2 later this week that will include online help where you can read further about JDF into and out of Preps.

sam
03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
OK, so from my Preps, Preps 5.1.4 (build 4:87) preps plus for brisque, if I use PDF files straight from PDF-X-Robot, NOT .JOB files, I can then export that layout as a JDF? You say compliant to JDF 1.2, is there a JDF 1.3 spec that would be more progressive or is that not ready for real world?

Since there is no help menu, and it is nowhere on the product CD either that we could find, can you give me a quick "to do" list? That will point me how to save a JDF file, or maybe paste that part of the new Help menu info here for me to use. I want to do same from Preps and upfront so that I can see what can be done with the resulting files, analyse them, etc.

Also, my Upfront is 3.0, is that capable or is a newer version needed? Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

nick.benkovich
03-28-2006, 09:53 PM
So let me answer your questions in order.
Yes if you add PDF's rather than .job files to a Preps PDF-PDF job you will be able to Print JDF.
Yes there is a JDF 1.3 however there is no LayoutCreation ICS that goes with JDF 1.3 as yet and as we are an imposition software we feel it is more important to be compliant to the ICS doc than the latest JDF spec that does not as yet have an ICS for Layout to cover it.
Step by step.
1. File Menu-> New Job -> PDF-PDF
2. Add files to runlist via the add files button or drag and drop.
3. Select your signature as normal in the Signature List.
4. File -> Print
5. Select JDF and your device and click Print.

Pretty much that simple.
UpFront 3 will do the job for you without the upgrade required.

sam
03-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Great Nick,

Thank you so much, I'll try that tomorrow when I get back in the office. It looks like I have enough to get me started in the Preps testing. That's exactly the kind of detail I needed.

So, how is best method for the imposition JDF from our Upfront machines. Also, will Creo Upfront builder and planner BOTH export same capability in JDF or is one more powerful than the other etc. Can we do a similar "to do" list for Upfront and its JDF export capability. How much info will that JDF carry inside of it? It has no pages assigned I guess, what else would be missing there. I Saw in the export dialog there was "JDF Intent, JDF Cutting, JDF Folding, JDF Binding." but that sounds like a long way from a full layout. Is it as complete as the preps job file that it exports??

nick.benkovich
03-31-2006, 07:03 PM
From Upfront print the JDF and then either open the file directly in Preps, do the signature matching, add files ( ie your PDF's ) to the job and then print JDF as detailed previously.
The JDF will carry inside it among other things:
Trim Size, Sheet Size, Folding Pattern, Page Count, Number of Deliveries, Head Trim, Foot Trim, Work Style, Binding Method, Customer details, Job Number and more but those are the obviously required ones.
So to clarify the dialog that you saw:
JDF Intent - Stripping params ( the high level imposition I mentioned in a previous post)
JDF Cutting - Data for post press cutting equipment
JDF Folding - Data for post press folding equipment
JDF Binding - Data for post press binding equipment

The simple answer to your question is each of the the JDF's above from UpFront serve a different purpose. In UpFront 4 you have the ability to create a single JDF ( as you should ) and decide which differing data you want to include. Preps then reads this information combined with the PDF pages and there scaling rotation etc write out a modified JDF containing all the original information plus the "layout" that Preps generates from the information received in the original JDF plus content and marks.
Hope that makes it clearer for you.