PDA

View Full Version : plate quality control marks in non printing area of plate

mike5
04-05-2006, 02:49 AM
I am using Preps v.5.1.5 with Brisque 5 LW/CT workflow. I need to place control strips, and other control patches on the plate, preferably in the plate bend area, but I can't get Preps to allow anything outside the defined sheet area. The only option I could find was to "lie" to the software about the size of the press sheet...you can imagine the yelling from the pressroom after that one. I have been placing these elements inside the sheet size, when they will fit, but I need a better way. Anyone have any ideas, or thoughts?

Mike

mike1
04-05-2006, 05:29 AM
I am using Preps v.5.1.5 with Brisque 5 LW/CT workflow. I need to place control strips, and other control patches on the plate, preferably in the plate bend area, but I can't get Preps to allow anything outside the defined sheet area. The only option I could find was to "lie" to the software about the size of the press sheet...you can imagine the yelling from the pressroom after that one. I have been placing these elements inside the sheet size, when they will fit, but I need a better way. Anyone have any ideas, or thoughts?

You should be able to define these in a custom marks set on the Brisque.
These are in [tools] [resource center] [mark & label sets]

Regards

Mike

mike5
04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
The last time I tried that I had several error messages from the brisque when exposing a plate; overlaping marks, and missing marks etc... But I will try again.

Mike

brian.cupp
04-06-2006, 03:28 PM
You can tell your marks to have a negative Y value and this should put it off the press sheet.

rickm
04-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Mike, we are using Preps 4 with Brisque 4 and we got around the whole marks not being able to print off the sheet thing by using Tiling in Preps. Technically, it's not actually tiling because Preps will be printing to just one tile. The custom sizes in the devices we use are the plate sizes. We have a specific device for the 40" presses, one for the smaller GTO press, etc. We did this mainly to get our side center marks to bleed off the edge of the sheet. We don't have anything else that images off the sheet, but I imagine that since the Brisque centers whatever image is sent to it that you would have to put marks off the left AND right side of, and equadistant to, the sheet to balance it out and make sure it centers (left to right). Hope this helps.

brian.cupp
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
If you specify your Device Setup to include a Vertical alignment (For your platebend) you will be able to get your marks to bleed off the gripper.

edwarde
04-06-2006, 05:45 PM
On the Brisque, set your, output, preferences, expose, maximum exceed value at 1000 mm.

kwood
06-14-2006, 06:02 PM

Mike

We use Prinergy with preps but I think will work the same. We have always figured out plate size as our sheet size for this reason. We have several marks we add on to our plates. We have a control strip in each of 4 corners that is 1" x 3.5" as well as a plate id that contains $[Jobname], $[sig] $[SL], $[color], $[Date], $[Time], $[SR], $[DotShape], $[username], $[LayoutName]. More times than not we do not have enough room on the press sheet that we can get ALL this information out of the trim. This label is large enough we can easily read and it is in the same place all the time so not to have to look over the plate to find where it is located for this job. I guess you just get used to figuring the extra plate bend into your figures.I have some masters set up with this standard information and marks set up for very common size sheet sizes we use and that narrows down the sizes you need set up for print. The only thing is you do have to lie a little still.
You tell it this plate size is .001 smaller than it actually is.
This may be what you need to do to get your marks across. If you have a 40.5 x 31.5 plate, we make the size for 40.499 x 31.499. This way you don't receive the message that the image will not fit.
I know this is rather lengthy but without explaining what we do I didn't know how to get to the size. Make a copy of you ppd's and open with a text editor to check the sizes for output.
kwood

brian.cupp
06-14-2006, 06:55 PM
In Preps you can specify a negative Y value and your mark will print in your Plate bend. This is as long as you have the following setup in your Device Setup: Tiling setup for you plate, a Y Value for your offset, and your Media/Paper Size is specified for your plate size.

By doing this you could actually put marks at the tail and gripper of your plate by still using the sheet size within your template.

This can save time if you have to plate a job on a different sized press as you don't have to change your template. All you would have to do it change the Device you are printing to and everything else falls into place.

Brian Cupp

tlotzer
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Be aware that if you place anything into the plate bend (marks, control strips, etc.) that if you are going to proof on a Spinjet Proofer, you must place the marks equidistant at the opposite end of the plate or the Proof will backed up offset by the amount of that extra mark.