PDA

View Full Version : Text Mark Not Separating on Plates Correctly

Cygnus43
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Preps 5.3

I have set up a plate identifier text mark in a template for a job that has both CMYK and a spot color. The spot color is the process equivalent of 0% cyan, 100% magenta, 96% yellow, and 28% black

In the “Edit Smart Text Mark” control panel under “Template Mark Color”. I have the text mark color set as “All separations” at 100%.

I set the variables in the text mark as “$JobName $Side $Web $Color”

The mark is not imaging on the plates correctly though.

The cyan plate simply says “Process Cyan” with the first three variables in the mark missing. You can see the text of the spot color name knocking out some of the characters in the word “Process”.

The magenta and yellow plates have all variables. You can see the spot color name printed on top of the word “Process” as opposed to knocking the characters out as happened on the cyan plate.

The black plate has all variables as well except the first three variables are screened.

It looks as if for some reason the first three variables are only printing as the spot color. That is why it only prints on the M, Y, and K plates and is absent from the cyan.

Anybody run into this situation?

ssutton503
02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Just a suggestion but you might try using four different marks instead of a single mark with four variables.

ssutton503
02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess one other thing that strikes me as odd is when you say the Spot color is the Process equivalent of... Is this "Spot Color" actually printing as a fifth color or is it being converted to process mix? If it is a Spot color it should just show up on the plate as "Pantone 187" or some such. If it is being converted to Process mix I don't see a need for a Spot color label.

Cygnus43
02-18-2010, 01:31 AM
The spot color is set up as a spot color. This is a 3 web job. The 1st web is 4/C only so the spot on the 1st web is being separated to 4/C rather than a 5th color. Webs 2 & 3 are spot only. I think I understand what's happening now. I will try your suggestion in creating 4 different marks rather than placing all variables in one mark. Thanks for the feedback!

sequoyah
02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I have had problems similar to this one. There is an acknowledged bug in the implementation of the $COLOR variable having to do with overprint not being honored at the rip. As an experiment, place the variable $COLOR in it's own separate text mark, and you will see the other variables printing correctly, but the text mark with the $COLOR variable will print the color names knocking out from each other.

The bug can be overcomed if you can set overprint ON at the rip.

Al Ferrari

Cygnus43
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Al,

ssutton503 suggested that I separate the four variables in my mark as four separate marks. A round about way to what you just suggested. It did the trick. Thanks all for your help!

Dave Swan

sequoyah
02-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Four separate marks, one for each color is exactly what I do also. My earlier suggestion of putting the $COLOR variable on a separate text mark was a way of demonstrating that the bug is in the $COLOR variable implementation, and not the other text variables.

Al