PDA

View Full Version : Colour Bars & Spot Colours

EC_Printing
03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Hello All,

i am wondering if anyone can provide some help regarding spot colors in color bars... i am having a hard time mapping them...

i have made a custom color bar (eps), and now i cant understand why the spot colors are not automatically mapping... i have named them the same as the files supplied with preps (6.0)... but it has not helped...

also is anyone using a JDF workflow ?,... how are spot colors handled in that situation ?... is there color mapping required ?...

any guidance on color bars or JDF workflow would be greatly appreciated...

thank you.

digital@sig-1.com
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Colors must be named rsi_coloralias_1, _2, _3 etc (see attached file) and must be in the Marks/dupmarks directory for scaling. I don't know anything about jdf - sorry

EC_Printing
03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
is anyone using a JDF workflow ?

sequoyah
03-22-2010, 04:28 AM
That may work very well, but SSiCustomColor1, etc. has also worked for years.

Al

digital@sig-1.com
03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
That may work very well, but SSiCustomColor1, etc. has also worked for years.

Al
When you're a Rampage user, it shows up in your spot color list as "SSiCustomColor1"; I just tried this as a take off bar (rectangle mark with SSi spot color applied), and that's what happened. I have to make my own bars, Kodak is clearly in the process of making Preps a Prinergy only workflow, alienating all other users.

sequoyah
03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
When you're a Rampage user, it shows up in your spot color list as "SSiCustomColor1"; I just tried this as a take off bar (rectangle mark with SSi spot color applied), and that's what happened. I have to make my own bars, Kodak is clearly in the process of making Preps a Prinergy only workflow, alienating all other users.

That's the normal behavior. You then map the SSiCustomColor-n to your job spot color in the Preps print dialog. My point to you was that the color names you were using in your color bar eps files were not the only names that work. Whatever names you do end up using then need to be mapped to the job spot colors in the Preps print dialog.

Al

digital@sig-1.com
03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I gotcha! I just hate remapping in Rampage; I like things nice and tidy. It's the anal retentive in me.

sequoyah
03-22-2010, 11:57 PM
I should have mentioned that my reason for using the SSiCustomColor# name scheme in my spot color bars is that they are the default color names used by the template editor in the Template Mark Color dialogs. So that if I place any other internal template mark in the same SSiCustomColor#, I only have to map that one color name to my job spot color.

Al Ferrari

Printhead
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I found a really easy way around this years ago and never bothered to adjust. I simply made a color bar in Illustrator with PMS 185 as my base spot color, and added black, cyan, magenta, yellow for a 5 color bar. Saved it as a PDF and threw it into the Marks folder. Since 99% of our jobs are either 1 color or 5 color, I just spec the 185 to whatever flavor of the day in our RIP/RENDER (Apogee X) RIP Station.

Over the years I've created ones with 1,2,3 spot colors - and of course created templates. But rarely use more than the 5 colour one.

digital@sig-1.com
04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm of the mindset, "let's not screw the next guy." In a perfect world, we'd stay in the same job forever, but it doesn't always work out that way. I have come in to positions, where I picked up "finished" files from the last guy and couldn't make heads or tails of them. I try to make things "perfect" as possible, and hopefully idiot proof. Unless a written set of notes was left behind as instructions, I want the next person to come in and have things ready to go. That goes for take off bars and color bars. I don't want the reputation to follow me as being lazy or confused; I want the next guy to come in and know exactly what was going on and exactly what I was thinking if they pick up one of my old files. I'm anal retentive in that aspect, but it keeps things moving smoothly.

Printhead
04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I guess if you don't want to remap using SSiCustomColor# or remap in the RIP/RENDER stage (or in your final PDF) your only other choice is to manually make 1 color bar for each spot color you use as you use them. Being anal retentive is great for the next guy, but it's also a very time consuming trait.

I know of no other way 'in preps' to create a custom color bar specific to an individual spot color. Since I'm using an older version, perhaps there have been improvements in version 6 that allow this.

digital@sig-1.com
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
If you use SSi color, and have to remap, there is ALWAYS the chance you could remap to the incorrect color. When doing it my way (rsi_color...), it will ALWAYS map to a proper spot color. If you have Rampage and look at the RIP'd data prior to impo, the spot colors are identified as 1, 2, 3, and so on. In Preps rsi_color...1, rsi_color...2, etc. will correspond to the Rampage designation. 0% chance of error on color bars.