PDA

View Full Version : Dawin and barcodes

prepress53
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
We are trying to print a mailing barcode on top of an image placed in InDesign. In InDesign, I set the transparency mode to "Multiply" for the box with the barcode in it. It previews fine in InDesign (the background image shows through between the barcode lines) but when I print a PDF from Darwin, the barcode has a white box behind it. We are using Darwin 3 build 0070 with InDesign CS4 for Windows. I used to do this in Darwin 2 but have not been able to make it work in version 3. Any thoughts? Thanks.

pstuart
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM
The new Darwin is probably creating the barcode images as jpgs and since jpgs can't be transparent, you get the white box.

I believe the old Darwin 2 would generate eps files so transparency was available.

Technically, you need a white background for the barcode to read properly and pass testing but I understand what you are trying to do.

Maybe someone from the Darwin team can provide a workaround? It sounds like the bug might be in the preview and not in the output, but I'm pretty sure you want it to work as previewed.

Just a thought, try setting the box to PS Overprint in InDesign and see if that helps.