PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the ColorFlow forum!

david.herder
04-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Ha! I have the first message on the new ColorFlow forum! Please feel free to utilize this forum and share experiences and results related to ColorFlow.

regards,
dave

roger
04-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Mr. Herder,

Can you give us an status update on ColorFlow's options, pricing and availability? thanks.

Regards,
Roger

david.herder
04-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey Roger,
I can address the options and availability. Pricing (since I'm largely a "tech guy") is something that is not in my control. Best to talk with your local sales person on this matter.

First, let me describe the versions. There is the Workflow Edition and the Pro Workflow Edition. Workflow comes with the upgrade to Prinergy 5.1 and allows for the creation of curves via manual adjustments, tonal match, or grey balance methods. With this version, you also have full ability to edit the grey balanced curves with our customized grey balance editor. However, in this version, you cannot generate Device or DeviceLink profiles, you can only import them.

The next version is the Pro Workflow edition. This is available for existing Prinergy Connect and Evo 5.1.x installs as well. It allows for the generation of custom DeviceLink and Device ICC profiles in addition to all of the functionality that the Workflow version offers. When you purchase this option, you also get the Colormatch on Output license for use in Prinergy.

As far as options are concerned, we have the Ink Optimization solution which allows for the creation of custom DeviceLink profiles for use on refine or output. These profiles will allow for replacement of CMY with K while maintaining solids, primaries, and secondaries. Adjustment of TAC is also within user control, as is the max Black, and Black strength values. Ink Optimizing Solution option can only be purchased in conjunction with the Pro Workflow option.

With regard to availability, all options mentioned above are currently being sold and are in the price book.

Hope this helps,
regards,
dave

rriegger
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Dave,

Will Colorflow run on a Windows 7 machine?

Great new forum.

Rick

david.herder
05-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi Rick,
We had some issues with 64 bit support that are addressed in the 1.1.6.2 release of ColorFlow, now entering field testing with Prinergy 5.1.2.2 and Evo 5.1.6.6

dave

blong
05-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I've been trying to run the Workflow Pro edition from Snow Leopard with no luck - fails to connect to the Colorstore$ server. When booted up in OSX 10.5.8 on the same machine it connects fine. Anybody know the trick for Snow Leopard?

david.herder
05-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Try connecting via IP address instead of hostname.

regards,
dave

blong
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks David, got past that first bump already, and launches the app fine, but hangs trying to connect ColorStore$

david.herder
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Hmm. Try to see if you can manually connect to the ColorStore$ share by connecting via the Mac Finder. Go>Connect to Server, connect via smb:\\<ip address>. If that works, and you can see other volumes, and mount ColorStore$, then maybe there is a bug. If you cannot connect and mount anything, then there is some other networking problem at your site.

blong
05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I can't see the ColorStore$ drive to connect to it, either in 10.5.8 or 10.6.2

In 10.5.8, it connects automatically when I launch ColorFlow.

When booted in 10.5.8, after launching ColorFlow, I made a shortcut alias to the ColorStore$ drive. I can double-click on that and reconnect to that drive at will. Copied that alias to my Snow Leopard drive, and double-click on it and a login window comes up to connect to the drive:

Name: 192.168.1.XX\ColorFlow
Password:

Not sure if it's relevant, but in 10.5.8, I can connect to the Prinergy Primary by Browsing the network, or by entering either

192.168.1.XX

smb://192.168.1.XX

or

smb://ycs154.73

In 10.6.2 I can connect with

192.168.1.XX

smb://ycs154-73

but when I try to connect with

smb://192.168.1.XX

I get an error that says "Connection Failed, Check server name or IP address and try again."

david.herder
05-10-2010, 09:45 PM
This sounds like a bug in the way ColorFlow is connecting with the Prinergy system, specifically when trying to connect via smb (it only connects via smb). So, we need to get all of the relevant logs and system profile information to escalate the matter through the response center.

In the meantime, there is one last thing to try. In the hosts file on your 10.6 mac, add an entry for your prinergy primary. The hosts file is located on your mac at /etc/hosts

Nonetheless, there is something very strange going on with this 10.6 system. I have heard of one other similar report and it had to do with only specific prinergy hardware platforms. By chance, is your Primary a Dell T610?

andy.woolcott
05-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Just upgraded to 5.1 with colourFlow, not set it up yet, but sure i will have questions when i get round to it.

Looks good though...

blong
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks, David. I've opened a call and sent logs to the Response Center, but they haven't cracked this one yet. Will try editing the hosts file next.

I've found a raft of reports on problems with smb shares using Windows Simple File Sharing, tech reports on the Windows support sites, as well as Mac sites, specifically affecting login username/password and guest access with group shares. But the fixes involve changes on the Primary Server, so would need to be done by someone from the RS.

And you're correct, it is a Dell T610.

blong
05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Editing the hosts file didn't help.

blong
05-11-2010, 04:24 PM
OK, got it!

Editing the hosts file didn't work - when the Prinergy Primary Server selected in ColorFlow's Lincensing window was still the IP address. (see above, to get past the first error).

But, after editing the host file, and switching back to the original default server, it now works.

Here are the steps that worked for me:

Edit host file
- Open Terminal
- paste in this command

sudo nano /private/etc/hosts

- Authenticate
- Arrow down to bottom of list and add new line.

IP_Address (tab) hostname

For me this was

192.168.1.25 ycs154-73

Control X to exit and type Y to save.

- Reboot

(basic instructions with screen shots here:
http://www.dotresults.com/2009/10/27/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/

Now ColorFlow can find the License Server using the hostname, and can now connect to the ColorStore$ share, since smb://hostname still works in Snow Leopard, where smb://IP_address doesn't.

Thanks David!

roger
05-12-2010, 07:10 PM

With regard to availability, all options mentioned above are currently being sold and are in the price book.

dave

Dave, should all ColorFlow options be available for testing via the 'Evaluate a new option' area in eCentral/Self Support? None are showing for me. I wish to test Pro version with inksaving option. - regards, Roger

david.herder
05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Roger,
No, we do not allow to enable the ink optimization option for testing purposes, as once you have generated the link, you have pretty much done all of the work. There are options, though, you can contact your sales person and ask to submit a job to our Demos and Benchmarks team. They will process the job with a sample Ink Optimized DVL and return the separations to you for evaluation.

Or, we will very shortly have a demo version of the software available so that you can "take the UI for a drive" so to speak. The demo version does not allow you to export any profiles for use in your workflow, however it does allow you to load an image for evaluation with the DVL applied.

regards,
dave