PDA

View Full Version : Darwin 3.0 and StoreFront

RobW
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
We've recently completed the update to StoreFront 6.0.x and are moving all of our VDP jobs that are StoreFront accessible to Darwin 3.0 as well. However, we can't seem to find any information in the Darwin docs about how to export WCS files to upload to the StoreFront server.

Any direction would be great, we have clients that can no longer place orders until we resolve this.

RobW
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Good to know we bought a module that has practically NO other users. Or is there a better place for support?

Got this one worked out for now though.

Jett
06-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Rob, we are currently running Darwin 2 & Storefront 5.5. We are waiting for more information on the upgrade, specifically VDP issues. How has the process gone for you?? Any nasty discoveries??

Cheers
Mark

RobW
08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Sorry I haven't replied, been out of it for a while.

I'll give you my impression, keep in mind I wasn't on site for the actual upgrade & didn't even have much advance warning before it took place.

When Kodak arrives to upgrade your server(s) they'll do an assessment on your Templates and give you a report of which ones will essentially "break" after the StoreFront upgrade. Before they even do that, I would suggest going into all of the Forms you have created and taking screenshots. I found that many of the Rules didn't function as expected after the upgrade, and if they're totally incompatible with InSite 6, you'll have to re-create them from scratch anyway.

I've had a chance to re-work a few older Darwin 2 jobs into Darwin 3 so they're compatible with InSite 6 - mostly. Again, there are some previous features that worked and now they don't, a lot of trial & error to get workarounds in place. (One case in point was a layout that had used Small Caps for a font that didn't have the Small Caps in the typeface used. It should never have worked in Darwin 2, but it did, and when we upgraded it did not. Took many hours of messing around to discover that.)

There are issues with OS & browser compatibility for InSite 6 & StoreFront as well. Mac OS 10.6 and Safari will NOT upload new jobs at all. It seems that Kodak is aware of the issue, but I don't know if there are any moves to resolve the problem or not. I'm not sure if 10.6 has any problems with VDP previews and forms though, I don't even have a machine to test here. I've had to rely on a Sales person who has it to let me know what's broken.

I'd be interested to hear other users' input on the latest version as well. I'd imagine there are other problems, I'm kind of surprised I haven't had more clients lodging complaints yet.

DigitalJuan
09-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi there,
I'm sure you've resolved the problem already. The file creation for the iVDP server is under "Collect & Pack Files" in File Menu.
Kodak stopped me several times in doing upgrade of our StoreFront. Basically I found Darwin 3.0 as much faster and reliable software. I've tested several of our VDP projects and they worked fine. Surely there are some differencies that must be considered but it is more powerful tool and transition from DB based to file based workflow is one of the great new features I found.

All the best

RobW
10-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I've gotten access to a newer Mac that's capable of running Darwin 3 (Under InDesign CS4) and tried a simple template this morning, which predictably failed. The error is:

Unknown WCS error in ConvertFromTemplatePackage WCS Convert: Failed to convert the template package file to a dvj file.

The Mac in use is running 10.6.4 and I know the Release notes from July of 2009 state that only OS 10.5.8 is supported. Is that still the case? If so, I have no way to produce jobs in a Mac environment, just curious if anybody else is having any luck.

psmosser
06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I've gotten access to a newer Mac that's capable of running Darwin 3 (Under InDesign CS4) and tried a simple template this morning, which predictably failed. The error is:

Unknown WCS error in ConvertFromTemplatePackage WCS Convert: Failed to convert the template package file to a dvj file.

The Mac in use is running 10.6.4 and I know the Release notes from July of 2009 state that only OS 10.5.8 is supported. Is that still the case? If so, I have no way to produce jobs in a Mac environment, just curious if anybody else is having any luck.

Rob, how did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same issue after upgrading to Darwin 3.

RobW
07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
We ended up doing all of our StoreFront work on Windows machines, since Mac support wasn't a priority for Kodak apparently. And we're in the process of changing over to a custom written system now, so Darwin's days are numbered, for us at least.

Good luck!! ;)

psmosser
09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
What I found out was that the issue for us was that we still needed to use InDesign 4 for it to import on the storefront. Since the storefront isn't running ID5 the exports from Darwin containing a 5 file fail to convert. If they are done in 4 they work fine.