PDA

View Full Version : Concept of ColorFlow vs. Harmony

leftrightleft
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Hello,

from the first days I was unhappy with Harmony because it has no intelligent function to correct an existing Calibration-Curve. So I support a new software for that. But ColorFlow isn't what I'm expecting.

It should be a better tool than Harmony but why it's so strong in his concept? What I have seen, is, that I have only the solution to work with ColorFlow or without. When I'm activating ColorFlow in the process-template, then everything will be rendered with ColorFlow. That's not what I want!

I want to use my existing process-templates with my individuals ICC-profiles and DeviceLink-profiles AND the option to use ColorFlow-Calibration-Curves. I know, that these are not real. But that's the problem. It would be fine, if I could use ColorFlow as a modern tool to create Calibration-Curves for my workflow. But that should not mean, that everything else should be rendered automatically with ColorFlow, too. That makes no sense.

Please think about, that ColorFlow could export Harmony-Calibration-Curves, that could be used in the existing process-templates. That's a good solution. To use ColorFlow to create excellent curves with correct-function, but the choice to leave the process-templates as they are. Do you understand this?

Best regards

david.herder
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi,
Yes, the behaviour that you describe is available in ColorFlow with Prinergy 5.1.2.1. In other words, you can create all of the colorflow color control elements (Print cal. curves, plate lin. curves, ICC profiles) and export them from the ColorFlow client to the file system. From there, you can use all elements just like you do without ColorFlow-Prinergy integration. However, I would wonder why you would want to do such a thing? One of the main benefits of ColorFlow is that it integrates with Prinergy so that you do not have to manage profiles and curves independently through the file system.

Also, you can enable a Prinergy job for ColorFlow and choose to output with a Process Template that is not ColorFlow enabled (just .hmy curves and file system profiles).

Is this what you are looking for?

thanks,
dave

leftrightleft
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Hello,

thanks a lot for your time to wrote this answer.

...you can create all of the colorflow color control elements (Print cal. curves, plate lin. curves, ICC profiles) and export them from the ColorFlow client to the file system.
OK, I didn't know that. Do you have more info where to copy them?

Also, you can enable a Prinergy job for ColorFlow and choose to output with a Process Template that is not ColorFlow enabled (just .hmy curves and file system profiles).
Ah, that sounds good. This information is completly new for me. I had in mind - after a Kodak-presantation - that I must choose at beginning of a new job, if I would use ColorFlow or not. And I thought, that ColorFlow must handle every task like refining, colorconvert, pageproof and final-output. After reading your answer this is not true?

I know, that there a some read-me's about ColorFlow on eCentral. But some are very short and the others are very long to read or to view the video-files. I'm missing some short infos on the point. But I must say, that I haven't really enough time to test it the right way.

Best regards