View Full Version : Darwin Lookup by

05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Does anyone use the text rule type "Lookup by" in Darwin? Can it be used in a Storefront workflow? Usually when I make a text rule I have it return literal text. However I'd like a rule that would return text from a file or even better, text from a database but I don't see where that can be done.

For example, if I had a database with Store, Name, Address fields the user would select his store from a drop down menu and the Name and Address would be populated based on the Store he chose.

The documentation is pretty sparse and I haven't been able to make it work yet.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

05-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure about returning text from a database, but I've done a few Rules that call text from individual .txt files, say for a range of Address locations. See the attachment, let me know if it makes sense. This one isn't very complicated.

The only caveat is that since the .txt file is un-formatted, you have to make a Character Style in the originating layout, and use another Rule to apply that Character Style to the referenced text. Attachment #2.

Good luck! I'd be curious to know about using a single database though, managing a whole folder of .txt files gets to be a hassle.

05-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks Rob. Sadly, I'm still using Darwin 2 (plan to upgrade along with SF 6 soon) so I don't have any Style rules. I did try the Lookup By in Darwin 2 but without the Style rule it returns text in Times New Roman 12 point every time no matter how it's formatted in the Indesign file. Not terribly useful. For now I'm using a page rule that returns a page with the correct text which works but it's not terribly practical beyond 10 or 20 pages. Thanks for the help. If you have any other ideas let me know.

05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Ah, we just upgraded to Darwin 3 & StoreFront 6 recently, but even in Darwin 2 this was possible. Looks a little different, but it's there.

If I get a chance, I still have Darwin 2 installed and I'll try to get a few screenshots of that same job.

You're right about documentation, it's pretty abysmal. Maybe we should write a Users Manual from the Operators' point of view? ;)

05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
If you can show me where that is in Darwin 2 that would be great. Thanks Rob.

I think the user forum is my user manual. ;)

05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Okay, after a brief power outage earlier, here are the same screens only in Darwin2.

Once you create the plain text files you'll be referencing, make a Character Style in InDesign (or several, if your referenced text areas have different stylings) then Save & close the InDy doc. Once you create the Text Selection rule in Darwin that will become a dropdown in StoreFront, then create a Style Rule, select the Character Style.

Go back into your InDesign doc, and apply that Style Rule to the Field that is referencing the plain text file.

It's not too horrible once you get the hang of it, let me know how it goes!

06-09-2010, 08:00 PM

We've been going back & forth with Kodak support after upgrading to StoreFront 6, some of our Templates that used this Rule no longer work & they seem to think this is part of the problem. Oddly enough, I have other Templates that I converted from Darwin 2 -> Darwin 3 and work perfectly with these text rules.

Just wanted you to be aware, it could cause you major headaches down the road. If I get any where with sorting out our problems I'll post back. I'm not optimistic at this point though.

06-11-2010, 09:41 PM

I finally got back to the Darwin 2 style issue. Thanks for the screen captures. They were very helpful. The reason I couldn't find the style rule in Darwin 2 is that it's not in the Mac version. :0 So, I loaded Darwin 2 on a PC and the style rule is there and works like a charm. Thanks for your help.

I also found a simpler way than linking to every text file in a rule. If you do a 'Lookup by' rule you can tell it to look for the text files by name based on anything entered in a field. This saved me from having to browse to every text file and link it to the rule (there are over 100 text files for this project!).

Thanks again!

06-17-2010, 09:46 PM
You were using Darwin 2 on a Mac, with StoreFront 5.x? Huh, we were told specifically by Kodak that we had to use Darwin on the Windows side to create content for StoreFront. Or believe me, there wouldn't be a Windows screenshot to be found.

I'm trying to get a Mac in here that will meet the requirements for Darwin 3 so I can keep everything on this side.

Good to hear you got it all working, I haven't messed with Lookup Rules yet, that's pretty useful for jobs with large reference files I'd imagine.

09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah we gave in and converted all of our assets to PC to storefront 5 working. Upgrading to 6 soon. Not terribly excited about the prospect. I have hundreds of variable templates up there.