PDA

View Full Version : UPC Barcodes

CoryM
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Has anybody experienced using UPC barcodes in Darwin. Any websites where I can purchase the UPC as a true type font? I have a font called Postnet that works great for all of our mailing barcode needs, but now am looking for a UPC version, any ideas?

RobW
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I've done them with SmartStream (the HP plug-in for Indigo presses) but not Darwin. We bought a set of fonts from ID Automation (www.idautomation.com), they're very complete and come with thorough macros for every application available. It's a little daunting at first, but they have pretty good documentation on their site and their phone and online support is top notch.

A warning: If you don't have a scanner to test the UPC then be sure your clients are capable. We got severely burned on a run that was using an odd retail code and the client was supposed to have checked it, but didn't. After that we purchased the Honeywell 4600G (http://www.idautomation.com/imagers/4600g.html) handheld USB scanner so we can verify all of our barcodes. It does postnets, QR Codes, all of the other major codes as well. The software is a little archaic & I only got it working on a Windows machine, so that's a consideration.

Have fun, I know I did!

CoryM
05-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks,
I have used ID Automation before for a different style of barcodes, and we had got it to work after a few headaches. Thanks for the info.