PDA

View Full Version : Darwin 3 and Small Caps

RobW
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
This is going to be more of a reference post than anything, as I'm starting to think we're the only shop running Darwin 3 & StoreFront at this point. But here goes.

It used to be, in Darwin 2.0.x that a variable field created with InDesign 3 could contain a line of text that used the Small Cap attribute. Not any more. Using that attribute will render all of the other variable fields on the template invisible during a preview. Some of them will output as PDF Proofs and potentially when the Order is placed, but that doesn't help much at the Proofing stage.

I'm looking into using a utility like Fontographer to create an openType font that has the Small Caps built into the font family, but that's laborious & may not even work.

stevew
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Interesting information....thanks

Just to let you know we are a shop that is currently using Darwin 2 and Storefront 5.5...

We are going to be starting a major Prinergy upgrade next week which will include upgrading to InSite/Storefront 6 and Darwin 3.

So...you have found one other lifeform in the galaxy using this setup. I wonder how many others are out there?? lol

RobW
06-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah about that upgrade - it's fun! And not in the "fun" sense like ponies and birthday cake and running through sprinklers either. More like the relief you get from standing up after several hours lying on a bed of nails. Anyway.

If you'd like to talk about our experiences before your upgrade, PM me here & I'll give you my contact info. Good luck!

RobW
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Follow-up to my initial post:

It appears that if the font used has small caps as part of the typeface, they will render properly. The design/font we have just happens to not contain those characters unfortunately. I tested a few other Pro fonts (Warnock Pro, Adobe Garamond Pro) and they render fine.

I also obtained a Pro version of the font in the original layout, but it's still missing those SmallCap characters. I guess now well have to tell the client that their previously working VDP Product is now unusable.

RobW
01-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Looks like I found a font that renders properly, it's called FuturaNo2SCD and comes in Book & Medium faces. Purchased from a font supplier, tested and seems to work! Of course, it's been months now and I'm not sure if the client is still with us any more...