PDA

View Full Version : Preps 5.3 FLIM on Intel Mac issue

EricDeRoos
06-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Hello,

Can somebody please advise me on fixing this current issue?

We recently upgraded several older G5 workstations to Intel Macs, installed the Workshop Installers and noticed that the Preps 5 name in "Confirgure Impositions Apps" is now either called "Preps Pro Floating License" or "Preps Workshop Client Site License" instead of what it used to be prior to the Intel Macs "Preps 5". I don't care about the naming convention as much as the fact that now our Preps FLIM is either not found at all or asked for the location of "printers.psm" which when I locate it it then says Preps must be restarted to take affect....but doesn't. I've racked my brain to no result.

Any clues would be very much appreciated.

We are running Prinergy 5.1.2 in case that helps

sequoyah
06-29-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't if it bears on the problem, but why not upgrade to 5.3.3, which is free?

Al

slivingston
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
We made the same transition a month ago from G5s to Intel iMacs. The one issue in the beginning was getting Preps to see the FLIM from the Prinergy server. What I found was necessary was adding the server ip address and name (for the server with your FLIM) to each Mac hosts file. This is fairly easy to do with admin access to the Macs. You want to go to the "Go" menu in finder in choose "Go to Folder." You want to enter "/etc" as the location you want to go to. A word of caution. You are entering the hidden world of UNIX under OS X. Be very cautious with anything you do at this point. Now, scroll until you find a file name "hosts." Drag a copy of it to your desktop. Clicking and dragging will automatically copy it since it cannot be removed. Open the copy in TextEdit by right-mouse clicking on it and using "Open With.." Add the ip address for you server, then hit tab and type in the name of the server after all the localhosts addresses. Getting the exact name is important. Save the file and drag it back into the "etc" folder. It will ask you to authenticate. Restart. On restart, open up Workshop and choose "start imposition program" from the "Tools" menu. Oh, I forgot to add, make sure you have mounted AraxiPreps before choosing "start imposition program." Preps should startup for you and see the FLIM. Let me know if this does not work for you.

Shawn

tapin2
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Eric,

With respect to the Configure Imposition Applications, Auto Detect sometimes makes some assumptions. I you desire to use a stand alone install of Preps. You can click on the Add and choose that version of Preps.

In regard to the printers.psm, please contact the Response Center. It sounds like your PrepsPrinergy profile has been affected. This should not have happened in the course of a normal installation/upgraded, but the fine folks in the RC should be able to clear the issue.

Cheers,

EricDeRoos
06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've tried manually navigating to the local Preps 5 install and it still comes up that same problem.

tapin2
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Eric, the issue is not immediately what version of Preps you are using, but rather the PrepsPrinergy.cfg.template file has been changed in such a way that it is not giving Preps the information it needs; namely the location of the printers.psm.

There are many variables at play, that a support case will be able to solve. Please contact the Response Center at 1-800-800-2500, they will be able to help you.

Cheers,