PDA

View Full Version : can ink opt ignore specific colors

jstotz
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Can the Ink Optimization be told to leave certain CMYK builds alone? For example a specific corporate color build?

david.herder
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi Jamie,
The short answer is no. I guess I'm curious as to understand the main use case behind the request. I would assume that you would want this feature because you may have observed color shift when using constrained DVLs with GCR and ink limiting in the past. While we have demonstrated in the recent IPA shootout, that the average deltaE between Ink Optimized DVLs and non-optimized output (digital file) is in the order of ~0.4 for 90th percentile values. So, I'm confident in saying that with our Ink Optimizing Solution, there is very little room for color shift.

With that being said, is there a reason for having the feature that I have missed?

regards,
dave

jstotz
07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I was thinking of two instances:

1. The customer had some custom 4/c builds printed on a swatch card that we had to match. We fine tuned them with an i1 and multiple rounds of inkjet proofs to get them to within 1 delta-E of the sample. They were still curved by harmony when we made plates but they worked fairly well. (So I guess that means that I really wouldn't want the exact build on the plate anyway.)

2. The customer had a very dark maroon build that may have been slightly over 300% TAC. We re-separated in photoshop to come up with an equivalent build but it just didn't have the same "look" on press.

However, there was certainly lots of room for error in those two examples and I have no reason to believe Colorflow couldn't handle them correctly.

One thing that would have made #1 easier was an iterative color matching tool. Does Colorflow have anything like that?

david.herder
07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Jamie,
At the moment, there is no automated way to perform iterative profile or curve generation in ColorFlow 1.1 or 1.2. I have logged a feature request DHER-1423 to cover this issue. No idea when or if this will make it, but the more customer requests that we would get would definitely influence the decision.

regards,
dave