View Full Version : Device Curves editing

07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
First things first, allow me to use my intuition, before forcing me to learn the new ColorFlow model, to try to transfer what I learned from Harmony, however crippled it was, over to the new Device Curves model in ColorFlow. I think it's only legitimate.

So, here I am, with this beautiful Device Curves dialog interface.

My intuition tells me I should be able to find the same behavior as I had in Harmony. I don't want to import Harmony curves, if I'm to learn how to use CF for the long term.

So, I select the C button, to activate the Cyan curve. (I'm not ready to jump into those beautil CMY gray balance curves yet -- stupendous interface, from a graphics standpoint)

Then, I figure I have to type in Input Device values at the bottom, in the "Tint in" field, and Output Device values in the "Tint out" field. So far so good.

Now, as I type in different I/O values, the curves start to animate and every Output Curves value automatically recalculate, exactly the same way they did in Harmony. So far so good.

Problem is, my manual entry points are lost? The only "clue" to the original entry points I painfully typed in on the keyboard comes from the last entry, visible on the curve graphics in the form of a small circle or dot, colored with the process inks it belongs.

Two problems with that interface.

First, the original entry point is lost. For documenting sake, this is not right. Second, the colored dot is only visible for CMK, the whole contrast of the yellow curve is too low to be visible in the curve's graphics. I know, I know, it's because you're trying to be consistent in the interface with regards to those darn process colors. But, in my view, there should be an option or Preference for advanced users like me, to use orange instead of yellow, to display Process Yellow information graphically. that's what I do in Excel when having to display Yellow graphs. I know it's not as intuitive as "yellow" color per se but at least, it's visible.

That's my gripe with the present Curves interface.

But I can see that you want to "promote" your new "front end", the way the new created device curves appear in the main Curves window, selectable by individual CMYK and CMY colors, with the attendant 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 90% editing fields, which is a vast improvement from Harmony.

I kind of like that interface but, again for the sake of documenting and saving us some brain cpu cycles, you could have added text labels showing the Input screen percentages opposite each lines, so that we don't have to mentally reverse-engineer the interface to figure what the software is doing.

This said, the Uncalibrated Device Tonality dialog, accessible from the View Response label, is a very nice conceptual addition. This is a remarquable feature. I intend to use it to show pressmen the relationship between the linear press behavior and the required tone corrections to reach a desired tone reproduction.

BTW, I tried Exporting the Curves and all I got was the dreaded *.hmy Harmony file extension. So, any plans to offer a CGATS option in a close future?

Best / Roger

07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Silly me again. I realize now that the graph part of the Edit Curves window is meant for "clicking into" to anchor the curve some place in the tone range. I had not gotten this part clear. So now that I clicked the curves on three places, I get three control point and those control points do stick when I'm done editing and when I go back to edit them. Silly me. Sorry for my earlier rant about this...

I know, RTM.

07-30-2010, 06:15 PM
No, looks like my manual entry points are gone from the Curve Editor! So I was right after all. I tried replicating this behavior over and over, and, sadly, the data points I manually entered initially are gone for good when I come back to try to edit them. :confused:

07-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Final observations.

The custom entry points I type in the "Tint in" and "Tint out" fields, after clicking on the curves in the graph, remain "live". They remain visible and individually selectable in the form of dots on the four process curves, for AS LONG AS I REMAIN in initial curve creation mode. As soon as I quit the editor, the initial dot information is gone.

Not good, any way I look at it.

/ Roger

07-30-2010, 07:27 PM

07-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Roger,
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I agree with many of your comments and we have made changes in the next release of ColorFlow (1.2) to make the curves more visible. With regard to preserving the nodes after editing, I agree with you and have logged a PR on the issue DHER-1429 - Node points from curve edits should be preserved.

Thanks again for the awesome feedback on your experience with ColorFlow!

PS. I have included a screenshot of the curves dialog (with some crazy device curves edits) from 1.2 for everyone's review.