PDA

View Full Version : Where to activate ColorFlow in Prinergy

rogerB
07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
So, I managed to create what I think is a valid first Color Setup in ColorFlow. I'm now ready to turn to Prinergy to turn this ColorSetup on somewhere in a FinalOutput Process Plan. I believe, without having gone to the UserGuide that I need to check the ColorFlow tab in the Process Plan while somehow unchecking the curves in the Calibration and Screening section.

So, I'm now in the ColorFlow section of the FinalOutput Process Plan (or template, if you will) and all I have is :

a) Snapshot
b) Device Name
c) Device Condition
d) Plate Line

At the right of the Snapshot drop-down menu is a "Global Context" label.

So far so good. Perhaps I need to exit the ColorFlow Client in order to have any of the ColorSetup elements show up in these four menus? But I thought, naively perhaps, that Device Name and Device Conditions would match those in ColorFlow, right?

I have, under Press A little i icon, the following Device Condition Properties :

a) Type
b) Description
c) Inks

But none of these are showing into the ColorFlow tab?

Roger

rogerB
07-30-2010, 05:32 PM
OK. I had to go to the User Guide on this one because there wouldn't have been anyway for me to intuitively figured what the linking mechanism was between ColorFlow and Prinergy, as far as gaining access to my humble Color Setup was concerned. The answer is "Snapshots".

Once I "captured a Snapshot" in the ColorFlow client, then, my Press Device (PCO?) became selectable under the Device Name menu.

And since this press can be tought of as beig in a number of "Device Condition", every one of these conditions, corresponding to a different Color Setup, if I'm not mistaking, is available in Prinergy's Process Plan interface, under the Device Condition drop down menu.

I still have no idea what Plate Line is for.

One HUGE criticism of the Prinergy interface design is the length of those menus are WAY TOO SHORT to accommodate all the characters that can go into these device condition names!!!

Device Names I have control on but not Device Condition since they are concatenation of line screen, substrate, Press Type (in that order) and then some. How are we supposed to keep track of all this information in the Prinergy interface?

Also, one small detail. Seems everything hinges on the "Approved" page status. It's true that all jobs are brought into the system through InSite or manual Refine, but I don't think that all jobs have their status changed to "Approved" before they are manually processed by the operator for "Final Output". Will that be a problem?

/ Roger

rogerB
07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
OK. I think I have a better idea now, after reading some more about Snapshots in the User Guide, on page 135, in the "How Prinergy uses ColorFlow elements" section.

So I opened a job in Prinergy and, under the the Edit menu of that job, in the Job Manager windown, I selected the "Job Attribute..." menu item.

In the Edit Job Attribute dialog, the first section atop the window is ColorFlow. By default, the Enable ColorFlow check box was unchecked.

So I checked it, and the default Snapshot came up.

The only choice in that menu is "Approved". Which is not entirely intuitive to me at this point of learning ColorFlow processing scheme of things...

But things start to get more interesting when I peek at the Default Color Setup drop down menu, since I recognize in this list all my carefully-crafted ColorSetup. And here, luckyly (?!), there is no shortage of interface to show all the characters of my smart Color Setup naming convention.

Two questions.

Once I make those selections in the Job Attribute dialog, what happens in the Final Output Process Plan: what difference does it make that I have selected these processing options, will they override the selections in the Final Output ColorFlow tab?

Second, there is the idea of a "Default" here, in Job Attribute. Does it mean Default as in "all jobs", somehow will be processed using a given Color Setup?

Need to read up some more...

Best / Roger

rogerB
07-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I get it. I have created a few additional Snapshots in ColorFlow and now, those Snapshots are starting by to appear "number" under the Snapshots menu, in the FinalOutput Process Plan, in the ColorFlow tab.

And while having selected a particular Snapshot under the ColorFlow tab, the Plate and Print Curves under Calibration and Screening tab, are grayed out, with the "ColorFlow value" showing on each one of those two menus. Meaning that the plate curves are not coming from Harmony but rather from ColorFlow. I get it. The screenset information remains accessible for change.

Best / Roger

rogerB
07-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Will it be possible, in a future release, to "name" Snapshots, so that they don't appear with cryptic-only numbers in Prinergy? At least, in the short term, wouldn't it be possible to display the associated Notes? The way the words Global Context is displayed in the interface.

This, to me, is an important usability feature.

/ Roger

david.herder
07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi Roger,
I have an open Feature Request DHER-1286 to "Add the Notes from the ColorFlow Snapshot dialog as a Visible Column" in Prinergy workshop. Would this work for you?

cheers,
dave

rogerB
08-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes, that would be helpful. Thank you.

Roger

JCannon6tb
03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
In the Edit Job Attribute dialog, the first section atop the window is ColorFlow. By default, the Enable ColorFlow check box was unchecked.

My question is "How do you make that the default?" instead of having to manually do it every time you create a new job?

david.herder
03-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi,
The ability to enable ColorFlow globally will be available in the UADM (Prinergy Administrator) as of 5.2. Here, you will be able to select from the Approved snapshot the color setup which you would like to show up as default for all new jobs created.

dave

JCannon6tb
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
So, you can't in 5.1.2.2?

david.herder
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
The feature to assign a default color setup globally is coming for 5.2.

In 5.1.2.3, you can use RBA to assign a color setup to each job if you utilize RBA in job creation.

In 5.1.2.2, you have to enable the color setup manually in the Job Attributes.

dave

mdelaney2bo
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
My question is "How do you make that the default?" instead of having to manually do it every time you create a new job?

What we did to facilitate this was to use template jobs in InSite that we added for each customer. Each template job has a particular color setup associated with it (Gracol C1, SWOP C3, SWOP C5 and Uncoated).

mdelaney2bo
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi Roger,
I have an open Feature Request DHER-1286 to "Add the Notes from the ColorFlow Snapshot dialog as a Visible Column" in Prinergy workshop. Would this work for you?

cheers,
dave

Having it as a visible column won't work, because the specific snapshot might not be chosen until final output. It needs to show up in the snapshot pull-down menu in the process template.