PDA

View Full Version : Device Condition Selection

rogerB
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Got a new puzzling message from ColorFlow today.

Here's the scenario.

I wanted to create a ColorSetup that would be applied during the Refine stage, to convert from CMYKspaceA to CMYKspaceB, eithe using my favorite pair of ICC profiles or my favorite Device Link Profile.

But I could not get very far into the process since I inadvertently ran into the friendly following warning:

http://www.mygua.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=39

I confess I'm still too new in ColorFlow to understand the significance of this warning.

I thought I created a new Press Device to accomodate the contemplated color profile conversion. True, in this new (press) device, I did select from an existing screen and substrate setting. But I don't know what makes ColorFlow think that this combination of screen and setting is a "redefinition" of an existing device setup, if I understand the gist of the message.

I suspect this has to do with the scenario I was having problem with yesterday?

Best / Roger

david.herder
08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi Roger,
This isn't so much as a re-definition of the device condition, but a merging of two devices that you have already declared have the same device condition. ColorFlow will merge two devices if the condition (substrate, screening, other) are all the same so that the curves created for non-promoted devices are normalized according to your promoted device's response. This is intended to be used where the response of Device A and Device B are fairly similar. If the devices are indeed different in behaviour (enough so that they require a different device condition), then specify the differentiating property in the "Other" menu when the condition is first defined.

regards,
dave