PDA

View Full Version : Martini Mueller Barcode used with multiple sections

john.sands@rrd.com
08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I encountered a problem that I mentioned to Kodak last year, regarding a little known PostScript variable Preps stick in to its marks PS file, called ps_Max_Sig. I believe this value was added specifically to support the Martini Mueller barcode's need to know the highest signature number (last sig # in job). See snippet from the Martinin Mueller barcode mark (built in Preps mark):

% get highest sig number from Preps
/max_sig PrepsDict /ps_Max_Sig known {ps_Max_Sig cvi}{1}ifelse def

Problem is that this value is not correct when multiple sections are used in a job. For instance for a job with 2 press run having 2 signatures each, max_sig will be defined as:

/ps_Max_Sig <32> def

<32> translates to the number 2. Actually there are 4 signatures (2 sections x 2 press runs = 4 signatures). So sections and Martini Mueller barcodes don't mix. We are currently having to use a complex workaround that includes entering a series of press runs and signatures into a formatted string that is then parsed by a homegrown custom mark.

Does Kodak have plans to fix this issue, so ps_Max_Sig is correct for regular templates as well as templates that include sections?

prepper
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Probably not....

Multi-sections in Preps 6 is a problem for us also. You can have multi-sections but you can't set the beginning page number of each section.

We do a double parallel fold for our saddle-stitched books, with sigs size of 16, 24 or 32 that are 2up each. When books are same # of pages, we match 2 different books up together on these runs. Preps won't handle them right (auto select) once you have more than a single sig, Preps 5 didn't either but we got by cause you could set the beginning number of each section and make it work, Preps 6 doesn't allow us to do that at all from what I see.

Before we started using mult-sections we made 2 jobs out of these if they had more than one sig, like a 16 and a 32 pg job for a 48pg books. But then you have to figure out exactly which pages in what order to put in the run list, so added work there and more chance for mistakes vs. just dropping the pages in the run list in order.

Also, can anyone tell me how to remove or delete a page in the pages list?

Thanks

john.hemsley
08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi John, I'd get Ray Johnson "ray_johnson@verizon.net" to re-code the mark for you, very reasonable costs too.

digital@sig-1.com
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Do you have Preps Plus or Preps Pro? I think you have to have the Pro version; Plus doesn't have that ability.