View Full Version : Viewing curves

08-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I went through the training video titled "Aim a press to an Industry specification." When I was done I wanted to see the curves that ColorFlow had come up with. I clicked on the curves button on the press and this opened a window called "Device curves - Adjustment". I then clicked on "view response" and that opened a window that called "Uncalibrated device tonality." So far so good. This shows me what the tone curve from my linear press sheet.

Next I clicked on the simulation button and this opened a window called "Simulation adjustment." Then I clicked on "view response" and here is where the problem started. Instead of opening another window with the tone curve of the standard I'm trying to simulate, it reused the previous response window. So now I can't see both curves at the same time.

It would be nice to at least open a new window so I could see the curves in separate windows. It would also be nice to display both curves in the same window. Maybe the place to do this is in the calibration curves viewing/editing window. This would be like the calibration curve window in harmony.

Also, is there a way to export the curves?

08-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I guess my question would be "Why do you want to see both the uncalibrated response of the press and the expected response next to each other?". We did have this in a previous version, but we had feedback that when both windows are open, it is very confusing to keep track of what window is what. And from a functional perspective, you would never really be making adjustments with the native press response and the simulation response at the same time, since those are separate use cases. ie: editing the native response because of some press anomaly vs. editing the simulation because you want to change your end-goal.

Please let me know if there is some other reason as to why you would need both dialogs open at the same time.

08-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Those are all valid points. I guess I was still thinking about harmony. I guess what I was after was a sanity check so I can see that the press response is x and the target is y so does this calibration curve make sense. It may be that with the ColorFlow way, that won't be necessary.