PDA

View Full Version : Files from Acrobat 9

prepper
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
I normally export files from Indesign as one file then open it in Acrobat, do extract pages as single files and use those in Preps, so if there's a correction or change during the process I only have to re-export the affected page or pages out of Indesign and replace in the Preps job. If I do that with Acrobat 9 now those files won't output from Preps, I get a native pdf file read error, however if I use Acrobat 8 to extract them, no problems, is this just a compatibility issue you think? Or something I can do to make it work with 9?

thanks

sequoyah
09-14-2010, 06:47 AM
It sounds as though you are doing the extra step of extracting individual page files in Acrobat so that you can later make substitutions of corrected pages in the Preps File List.

But one of the purposes of the separate Run List in Preps is to allow the substitution to be made there. So that you would leave the original single file from InDesign to remain in the File List, with the pages needing correction, and import new corrected pages from a later InDesign output, either individually or as a multipage file into the File List and move selected pages from the corrected output into the proper position in the Run List, substituting the original pages with the corrected ones.

Both methods work equally well. But the one I describe does not require the separate page extraction step of your method, does not clutter your hard drive with twice the amount of data, and to the point: uses only InDesign generated pdfs.

Have you tested wether pdfs created from Acrobat 9 by "Save As" have the same problem in Preps, or is it just the extracted ones? If it is just the extracted ones, then this may be an Acrobat bug, and not a Preps problem. Let's try it and report back.

Al

sequoyah
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
OK, I have tried to reproduce the reported problem, but find that Preps 5.3.3 in OSX 10.5.8 has no difficulty with pdfs files from Acrobat 9.0.0, either Extracted as single pages, or "Saved As" a single file.

This was starting with an 8 page pdf file from InDesign CS5, which was brought into Acrobat 9 Professional and re Saved As to a different location as a single file, and while still open, was also extracted as single pages to that same location, Then all 9 files where placed in a Preps job for a total of 16 run list pages. These where imposed to two 8 page signature pdfs, press sheet size. No problems at all.

Al

prepper
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Al,

I did test this just now and it fails if saved as in Acrobat also? What I found was this also...I did a save as and replaced one page on one of my sigs, it was page 40, and tried to print that flat, when I did I got the same error message, "Native PDF file read error" and then "Cannot parse file, pages will be excluded" it did go ahead and create a PDF though so I opened that in Acrobat to see what was there expecting to see a blank in that spot but instead Preps had excluded page 40 and put 41 in its place! Not what I expected at all, I guess if it can't output the page in one location it moves the next page in the run list to that position? Doesn't sound right to me.

But anyway, back to my original post, my son thinks there was something similar he had a problem with in Preps 5.3 and Acrobat 9, before he went to 6.0. He thinks there was a fix or something he had to change in a config file to do with PDF Library? Anyway, he's looking it up now to see if he can back trace and find what it was, if he does I'll let you know.

Ok, he found it, if we change the line in config file "Use_ppt_pdflib:No" to yes then it works ok. Did find that the 1.3 file from Indesign is extracting to 1.6 in Acrobat 9 but stays as 1.3 if extracted in Acro 8, that may be a setting somewhere? Not sure, I couldn't find one. Final pdf from Preps is 1.5.

Thanks,
Terry

sequoyah
09-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Terry,

My default.cfg has that line set to NO (-USE_PPT_PDFLIB:NO).

Al

lauriek
09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
We have the same problem with the PDF 3 read error usually take the PDF into indesign and export using press quality settings and this always fixes the problem

We have also tried changing the config file to YES this works for the PDF 3 read error but causes our smart marks to get errors and disappear of the signature

Correct me if i am wrong but preps 5.3 does not have this config (-USE_PPT_PDFLIB:NO) setting only preps 5.3.3

MZarickkfg
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
One thing you could also do is to skip the extracting of single pages from Acrobat all together. We use the page exporter script to export all pages as single page pdfs directly from Indesign. I beleive the script is free from the Adobe website. I could send you info if interested.

Mike

sequoyah
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
But what is the reason that you find single page pdfs more advantageous than a single multi page pdf, given Prep's capabilities?

Al

prepper
09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Al,

The reason I was exporting as single pages is this last magazine job, they made changes 3 or 4 times to 25% of the pages, each change I have to export the whole 850meg file out of Indesign again. I agree it may be the best just having one file and all but I know if only replacing the pages they change that the other pages then are remaining haven't been touched either. If I only export the new pages and include them in Preps along with an original file that has all the pages, then I still have multiple copies and files to take up space.

Anyway, exporting as single pages out of Indesign would be ideal for me I think, I'll look into that further, thanks Mike, and if I can't find it I will be asking.

Also, changing the default.cfg file only worked for me if that was the setup I was using, I did have to go in and change that line in my custom setup for it to work there, but if you're not having the problem to start with then I doubt that would affect your outcome. I am on Mac OSX 10.5.8 and Preps 6.0.1 by the way.

Thanks

prepper
09-16-2010, 01:44 PM
For Al and others, I just learned something else also, if I use Split in Acro 9 instead of Extract it didn't change the PDF version, it stayed 1.3. At least on this file, maybe you can check that on your end as well?

Split also allows you to add a prefix or suffix with whatever tag you want to add and will let you do multiple files at once.

Don't remember noticing the Split option b4.

Terry

Prepress Pro1
11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Kodak has emailed me and said the PDF Native Read Error: ERROR: PDFREAD 3 on file <filename> error is because By default, Preps uses its own PDF internal engine to output PDF. The internal engine handles most PDF files but it might not correctly handle PDF files that contain newer features such as transparency and compressed objects. The testing I have done only allows me to put Acrobat 5 or 1.4 PDFs into a Preps 5.3.3 run list. If you want to use higher level PDFs you have to change the default.cfg. Setting the -USE_PPT_PDFLIB:NO option to YES. However in the Prinergy workflow this change now makes your PJTF files printed out of Preps unusable. At that point you have to use JDF file format to print out of Preps.

JCannon6tb
11-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Kodak has emailed me and said the PDF Native Read Error: ERROR: PDFREAD 3 on file <filename> error is because By default, Preps uses its own PDF internal engine to output PDF. The internal engine handles most PDF files but it might not correctly handle PDF files that contain newer features such as transparency and compressed objects. The testing I have done only allows me to put Acrobat 5 or 1.4 PDFs into a Preps 5.3.3 run list. If you want to use higher level PDFs you have to change the default.cfg. Setting the -USE_PPT_PDFLIB:NO option to YES. However in the Prinergy workflow this change now makes your PJTF files printed out of Preps unusable. At that point you have to use JDF file format to print out of Preps.

If you make the same change to 3 files...default.cfg, PrepsPrinergy.cfg, and PrepsPrinergy.cfg.template the PJTF files will still work in Prinergy 5.1.2.2 as well as JDF files.

Lhaase
11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Check out Zevrix BatchOutput plugin for Indesign to quickly produce single page PDF exports and avoid Acrobat's extract pages command all together.

MWilsonfdr
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
One thing you could also do is to skip the extracting of single pages from Acrobat all together. We use the page exporter script to export all pages as single page pdfs directly from Indesign. I beleive the script is free from the Adobe website. I could send you info if interested.

Mike

I'd be interested in this, too. Can you give me the details?

Just my two cents, but I like to use single-pages because of time and size, but most of all, why risk anything going wrong on pages already OK? Sure, if the workflow is consistent and solid, chances are good that things won't change. But by NOT resaving previously OK'd pages, there is NO CHANCE of anything changing.

Lhaase
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I haven't tested this with CS4 or CS5, but here is the free script....
http://indesignsecrets.com/page-exporter-utility-peu-5-script-updated-for-cs3.php