PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Xserver/XRAID with NAS

jerryd
09-15-2010, 06:29 AM
To replace our old XServer/XRAID that has gone down twice already this year we have installed a NAS to replace. After a month I'm wondering if this is the right choice. The NAS is slower copying, moving and deleting files. Get errors when saving Illustrator files to it, even though there is nothing wrong with the file and searching the NAS through the Mac search is just bad.
Has anyone else gone to a NAS for their working files? I think I got spoiled with the XServer/XRaid. Maybe it is just a setting I am missing on the NAS side or the Mac side. I am using SMB to connect to the NAS from our Mac.

Thanks for you input.
JerryD'

AGesell5fc
09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi Jerry,

We too are using a NAS devide and have experienced all of the same issues with the exception of the illustrator problems....though it's slow as heck to open some simple illustrator files - I wasn't sure if it was because I've updated to CS5 or not.

Sorry, I don't have a solution but though you'd like to know you're not alone.

edwarde
09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
XServe is still the way to go. I have both and prefer the Xserve hands down. Absolutely no issues. Going down twice in one year is a fluck as the internal components are essentially the same.