View Full Version : Darwin 3.0 - Slow generating barcodes

10-11-2010, 09:32 AM

We acquired Kodak Darwin 3.0 Pro (InDesign CS4 version), and we are dissatisfied with the obtained results, because de software is very slow when we generate PDF containing barcodes with variable data.

Part of our production consists on generating one million records with 6 barcodes on each one. With Darwin this process is extremely slow.

We can say that Darwin takes longer to generate PDFs then our two printers Konica-Minolta 1200p take to print the same PDFs, so, the printers have to wait for Darwin.

In order to solve this problem, we acquire a computer with high performance characteristics, with a 3.33Ghz dual core processor and 8Gb of RAM. However these characteristics can't be exploited because Darwin won't work on a 64 bits environment.

This limitation makes it impossible to run Darwin with more than 3GB of RAM.
Regarding the use or not of the dual core technology, the doubt stays in the air.

The files to generate belong to a mailing, so we have to generate about 600 PDF's, one for each postcode. Each PDF contains normally between 500 and 3.000 records.

Each record contains two EAN13 barcodes and four to eight EAN8 barcodes.

Since a single record with six bar codes takes about 1 second to be generated. 600,000 take 166 hours, which makes the process very slow, affecting the production timing required by the client.

Can someone help us to solve these problems?

10-13-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm not using Darwin to crate barcode jobs, thankfully, but honestly you should go back to Kodak and demand a refund if they can't produce a version that's up to task with your output hardware. I think they've essentially released a sub-par application with little support for an exorbitant price.

Find another VDP application that will meet your needs, until Kodak stops getting our money I doubt they'll budge on improving their products. Sorry if I sound bitter or hostile, but I frankly am both. After years of trying to get a working solution from them, that's how I feel.

10-27-2010, 04:57 AM
I can say that Darwin 3 is much more quick than 2.
But... From my experience with Darwin, it took more time to make "gathering information" than the real "producing of a file". So, did you try ti split the database into let's say 10 000 records and try them this way? It is not the number of barcodes per record but the number of records that makes sense in a job.