PDA

View Full Version : Can't turn ColorFlow off at the Job level

rogerB
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Is is possible that, once ColorFlow is enabled, in Job Attributes, it cannot be disabled? We just did this and, once we go back in the the Job Attributes dialog, the whole Enable ColorFlow section is grayed out?

This is a loaded gun.

/ Roger

david.herder
10-14-2010, 04:53 PM
It is correct that you cannot turn off ColorFlow for the job once enabled. However, this does not stop you from output that is not colorflow enabled. Should not be a loaded gun. Let me know what you think is hazardous here.

regards,
dave

rogerB
10-14-2010, 05:44 PM
It's a matter of deployment, I guess. We're experimenting with DeviceLinkProfiles for a client who supplies PDFs in "SWOPbrandX.icc". The DVL we created with CF converts from SWOPbrandX to SWOP_C3. But in order to experiment with the CF-created DVL, we cannot just select CF in the Refine, we must also Enable it in the JobAttributes. So we enable it in the JobAttributes. But, not knowing that enabling CF is a one way street, we process the PDF in our everyday client's Prinergy Job setup. Problem is, once enabled, we can no longer goback in time, sort of speak, and have to create a new Job for this same client we've been serving out of the same Job. This client never uses any color management when supplying PDFs through InSite. We take the separations, curve them in Harmony and away we go. Had we enabled ColorFlow in that Job's JobAttributes, we would have been in trouble with the guys than maintain those Jobs. Lucky for us, we enabled CF in our usual "Test Job". But the fact of the matter remain that, we only wanted to enable it for the purpose of testing, not permanently. So, we have to be careful what we do with ColorFlow. You must have had good reasons to make the job for ever CF-enabled once it is enabled but, as far as I can see, we lose flexibility.

david.herder
10-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi Roger,
Yes, you lose flexibility for the sake of accuracy and prevention of error. Lets take this example:
- Create a ColorFlow Enabled job and apply input conversion (RGB or CMYK) to your input files. ie: converting US Web Coated SWOP v2 input cmyk recipes to GRACoL recipes. This would be done with a Color Input in ColorFlow that creates a DVL between SWOP and GRACoL.
- now the files have a closer approximation to GRACoL CMYK recipes (within limits)
- In a normal workflow, output would occur next. But, what happens if those same input files are re-refined with another input conversion that is not known to ColorFlow, ie: just a pair of profiles, maybe tailored for uncoated work. For this to happen, of course, you would have to be able to disable ColorFlow in the job attributes. It is for this reason why you cannot disable ColorFlow for the job once it is already enabled.

In the past, I have seen this "double color management" scenario in practice at a couple of sites, simply because it is not apparent that the file has already been color managed with a specific destination profile. There is a warning in history that does show the problem, but it seemed that was not enough.

I understand that during initial testing, this may require you to create a separate job, but it is better to have to do that than potentially introduce error by double color managing a file (once with ColorFlow, once without).

regards,
dave

rogerB
10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Which means that, for all our jobs where we don't need any color management at all, we'll have to learn to stay away from ColorFlow. Customers send in CMYK. We pull proofs from those, they sign off of them, and we make plate and go to press with them. Easy. Would there be any benefits of Enabling ColorFlow at the Job level for those jobs, in your opinion?

david.herder
10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Not true. You can turn on ColorFlow for the job, just don't enable a Color Input conversion, then the input files will not be color managed.

regards,
dave

rogerB
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
You're right. I missed that. We can leave ColorFlow alone in the Refine Process Template if we want to -- touché!

eduardo
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Not true. You can turn on ColorFlow for the job, just don't enable a Color Input conversion, then the input files will not be color managed.

regards,
dave

Hi Dave. I want to make RGB->CMYK conversion on Refine and use Colorflow on output to proof. There are a manner to make this? ...with Colorflow disabled on job, I can't output...when I enable it, I can't refine.
I'm doing some configuration mistake or this is not possible?

Thanks

david.herder
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Today, you can enable Colorflow and refine RGB>CMYK so long as your RGB element is tagged with an RGB profile. If the input file is not tagged, you can tag it with Advanced Preflight rules. If you don't have advanced preflight, you can refine with ColorFlow off to convert RGB>CMYK, then turn CF ON in the Job Attributes, then output.

We are working to add RGB color inputs in a future release of ColorFlow so that you can perform RGB>CMYK conversions without these workarounds.

regards,
dave