PDA

View Full Version : ColorFlow Crashing with imported device links

DYoderz1f
11-24-2010, 12:41 PM
ColorFlow is crashing with imported device link profiles made from several manufacturer's device link software. The problem is that colorflow doesn't handle a device link profile which does not have a rendering intent tag set in the ICC header. This seems like a fairly serious flaw if you intend to actually allow device link profiles to be imported from 3rd party profile creation software.

david.herder
11-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi,
Please send me a download link for the DVL and I will take a look at it. However, having the rendering intent of a DVL missing from the header content seems to me to be a break against the ICC spec. The rendering intent should be present in the header for a couple of reasons: 1) so that a person can always understand how the DVL was made. 2) So a workflow system can understand how to implement the DVL in a render stage.

Where was the dvl created?

regards,
dave

DYoderz1f
11-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, I looked at the ICC spec and this seems to be a non-conforming icc profile. It was made using Alwan's Device Link program. I have submitted a bug report with them. Thanks.
From a programmer's point of view, I still think that ColorFlow should assume a default value for this or at least give an eloquent error message rather than just crashing the entire program.

david.herder
12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree. In order for me to submit a bug report and get this fixed, I would require a sample profile that exhibits this behavior. Would you send me a link to download this profile?

Regards,
Dave

DYoderz1f
12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Sure, here is one device link that is not working. Thanks for helping.

david.herder
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, some good news. In ColorFlow 1.2, this problem seems to be fixed. We are looking to run beta tests in early 2011. The application does not crash, but because the RI is not encoded in the header of the dvl, we cannot determine its generation mode for use in editing for White Point (if this dvl was encoded as Abs Col.). However, from looking at the A2B tag, it looks to be rendered with Colorimetric intent.

regards,
dave

DYoderz1f
12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Great, that is really all that I think Kodak is responsible to accomplish. I'm working with the dvl manufacturer to correct the dvl problem. Just a suggestion and I don't know how practical it is but maybe Prinergy could use a default intent if none is provided in the dvl? Not sure if the user should know about this and maybe it's just a really bad idea. Best would be to let the user choose the intent if none is provided, but that is more coding than you probably want to throw at this problem that really isn't yours to fix. Thanks.

david.herder
12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Doyle. I appreciate your insight and I believe we have a good fix implemented for 1.2.

regards,
dave