PDA

View Full Version : Change of ColorSetup in Job Attributes

rogerB
01-07-2011, 05:38 PM
I was under the impression that ColorSetups could be changed around anytime after a job was initially refined, simply by going down the Job Attributes window to select a different ColorSetup.

Indeed, Job Attributes will gladly accept a different ColorSetups after the initial refine *but* this does not solve the following problem.

Suppose we have a job destined for both C5 and C3 printing. We initially process the job through a "C5" ProcessTemplate.

To launch plates, we start by sending the job through a "C5" FinalOutput ProcessTemplate. That works fine.

But when we go back to change to a C3 ColorSetup in Job Attributes and try to launch the job through a C3 FinalOutput ProcessTemplate, we get an error. And we cannot go any further.

I was under the impression that ColorSetups were not statically saved with the job but could be changed dynamically?

Best / Roger

david.herder
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
But when we go back to change to a C3 ColorSetup in Job Attributes and try to launch the job through a C3 FinalOutput ProcessTemplate, we get an error. And we cannot go any further.

When you state "try to launch the job" do you mean send an imposition? Does the imposition contain pages that are refined to the C3 color setup or to the C5 color setup?

dave

jstotz
01-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I have seen from experience and been told by the RC that on-the-fly changing of CF settings is at best, unreliable, and at worst, broken.

david.herder
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Jamie,
What version of Prinergy are you using? Before 5.1.2.2, changing settings (specifically snapshot ID) in your output PT to something different than what you set during refine is prohibited (not broken - in fact, you should get an error message if you try to do this). We realized this was too restrictive and relaxed this constraint in 5.1.2.2 such that you can change the snapshot ID to be something different from what you selected in refine.

This is useful if you just made a change to an output curve or DVL and just want to apply this new change; you shouldn't have to re-refine to get this to work.

However, today you must still use an output device condition existing in the Color Setup that was used during Refine for your output PT. This is to prevent potential color variation and a possible "double color management" scenario.

regards,
dave

jstotz
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I have upgraded to 5.1.2.2 and appreciate the relaxation in the re-refine constraint. I may have run into the second thing you mentioned but I can't remember. I know I did get an "unknown error" in the process plan progress window. I think it was some type of output but I can't remember the exact chain of events.

rogerB
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm still not clear on the process.

I am told that using the 1.1.6.2.676 client, somehow, that this is possible. I was told it may require a Prinergy update? We are on 5.1.2.1 currently. Is that why we can't change ColorSetup around in JobAttributes AFTER the job was refined?

Best / Roger

rogerB
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
More confusion. I looked around on eCentral for a more recent version of the client, something newer than 1.1.6.1.14 which we're still on, on our Prinergy 5.1.2.1 version. I couldn't find anything related to ColorFlow and Prinergy 5.1.2.2 on eCentral -- only found updates for the Matchprint Virtual RIP.

Does it mean that, in order to obtain the newer CF client we need to upgrade Prinergy to 5.1.2.2? Because the ColorFlow Client installers are only distributed with newer versions of Prinergy?

We're really stuck in the middle of a testing crunch and need to make this work badly.

Best / Roger

david.herder
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Roger,
Please provide more information:

Does the imposition that is failing contain pages that are refined to the C3 color setup or to the C5 color setup?

At this time, new releases of ColorFlow are controlled by updates in Prinergy. If you are running 5.1.2.1, you should have ColorFlow 1.1.6.1.14. When you upgrade to 5.1.2.2, you should have ColorFlow 1.1.6.2.676.

dave

rogerB
01-10-2011, 09:01 PM
David,

The imposition that is failing was refined using a C5 ColorSetup.

Thank's for the Prinergy-ColorFlow version clarification.

Roger

david.herder
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
If it was refined with a C5 color setup, then only device conditions that exist within the C5 color setup can be used for output. This is the current behaviour as of 5.1.2.3 and earlier.

rogerB
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Irregardless of Prinergy/ColorFlow version?

Then we're in trouble.

Roger