PDA

View Full Version : Editing device link for proofer

jstotz
01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Is there a way in CF to edit the Lab or Lch values of the solids and traps?

david.herder
01-18-2011, 09:26 PM
In ColorFlow 1.2, we have Selected Color edit mode that will do exactly this. 1.2 is beta testing starting 1st week in February 2011.

See attached screenshot.

jstotz
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Presses are curve controlled devices, and curves can't do selective color corrections. I have always heard that one didn't normally use any sort of icc/devicelink/reseparation in front of a press, because that was "bad" so one just used curves and was happy. Proofers on the other hand, being icc managed devices, always get a full reseparation.

So now it looks like with ink optimization, since we are doing a full reseparation anyway, we might as well go all the way and do the color management too. And once CF supports it, we can do selective color cx for the press as well as for the proofer.

Do I have that right?

david.herder
01-18-2011, 10:32 PM
right on the money.

jstotz
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Will the selective color be separate from the ink opt as far as what colors it can effect. For example, ink opt won't effect 100M 100Y but selective cx can right? And I guess I can do all the device link edits even if I'm not actually doing ink opt?

david.herder
01-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Good question. Yes, "Selected Color" edit mode is available independent of the Ink Optimizing Solution feature. It is available for DVL and device ICC profiles (source and destination modality).

I guess you could edit your trap value in an Ink Opt constrained DVL to be something other than constrained, but then again, you can do just about anything with Profile Adjustment. Its a sharp edge. Probably not the wisest thing to do in an IOS DVL

dave

jstotz
01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I can't tell from the screen shot, but is there a method to make several different selective color edits to the same profile?

david.herder
01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
why, of course! Please see attachment.

jstotz
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Hmmm, I see several colorimeters on the picture, and a history, but I guess what I'm looking for is a list of edits, similar to ProfileMaker. Also, can the edits be saved/exported and loaded into other profiles?

Newton
01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Ink Optimization questions:

When does the re-seperation/GCR take place?

Does it physically change the CMYK values during the refine? Or just on plate output?

david.herder
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi Newton,
Can you post the above question on a separate thread?

thanks,
dave