View Full Version : Job ColorSetup Variable

01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
What is the advantage of selecting <Job ColorSetup> in Refine as opposed to selecting a particular "named" ColorSetup?

Does that mean that, when selecting Job ColorSetup, the refined PDFs becomes tagged such that one could have complete freedom of "repurposing" a refined PDF on output?

Allow me to come back to my earlier post. Suppose I need to output a job with various GCR. If I select Job ColorSet at Refine, does this mean that I can FinalOutput the job using GCR1, go back to Job Attributes to GCR2 and FinalOutput the job using the same DeviceCondition?

All I'm trying to find is to what extent I need to re-refine jobs in order to be able to later channel them to the ColorSetup of my choice.

Not easy.

01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
First of all, let me confirm that this type of use case that you are addressing is one of "testing". I'm not thinking that you would want to really refine a job with the intention of ink optimizing with Black Strength "x", then run the EXACT SAME job again with Black Strength "y". Please confirm this for me.

In production, you should set the Color Setup that is to be associated with the Job. This, in essence, applies your "Color Intent" for how you want separations to be created. Note the "Color Intent" is in quotes.

Once the Color Intent is established, it is rare (with the exception of cover vs. guts) that the content within the job would need to be reseparated. And if it does, today you need to re-refine the pages. I don't think this is unreasonable.

The purpose of the Job Color Setup is to save you from a plethora of refine process templates. Essentially, you tag the job with the color intent rather than make it a decision at the refine processing stage. So, all you really need is one refine Process Template for all things that refine-color convert.

01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Rest assured, all these selections are for test purposes only -- I know what I'm doing, David!