View Full Version : How big are your setups and how stable is Colorflow?

01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I thought updating to the latest Prinergy and Colorflow would help but alas...

Colorflow crashes constantly. It doesn't matter if I'm on a mac (10.5.8) or working directly on the Prinergy server (Windows 2003 server, 1 year old). I can usually add or delete one device and take a couple of measurements or make a few changes. After that, Colorflow just hangs and I get a bunch Java error message windows popping up.

I tried simplifying all my setups to lessen the strain. I ended up with 1 big setup and 1 smaller setup. All together about 60 measurements/profiles covering four Epson proofers, two presses with 3 ink types and 6 possible line screens.

I've also resorted to working on Colorflow after hours when no one else is on Prinergy.

01-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Which version of Prinergy?

Do you have a case open in the RC?

01-26-2011, 06:53 PM

and No, I haven't opened up a case. Yet... I've been able to manage so far, 1 device at a time.

01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi Newton,
I would definitely open a case for this. From a product development perspective, we need to be able to reproduce a problem such as this and prevent it from happening in the future.

01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

That is exactly how I ended up trolling this forum. A while back I made an issue with some of the Kodak techs and our district sales rep that I had no way to report issues and bugs because we (for various reasons) don't pay for Prinergy Support.

I would love to help improve the software but not when it involves me having to cut a PO.

01-26-2011, 09:30 PM

01-26-2011, 10:10 PM
This looks to be a memory related issue with Java running on your client workstation. How much available RAM do you have on your mac?

01-26-2011, 10:18 PM
4GB on the Mac. 4GB on the Prinergy Server.
But I'm going to go ahead and order more RAM. RAM is cheap. And because Dave said so. ;)

01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
It could still be possible that our application is not playing nicely with the available memory on the machine. In this case, getting more RAM would not make too much of a difference. To tell this for sure, I would need to try and replicate your color setup on my machine and test the case out.

Can you send me a screenshot of the color setup that you are having these memory issues with? Also, a system profile of your mac would be of help.

01-27-2011, 07:49 PM
The system profile file is here: (Kailua.spz.zip)

Currently swapping RAM with another computer to see if it would make a difference. No such luck. We did order 16gig, more so because it was so cheap than to fix this problem. I will try later to set up another Mac station with Colorflow...

And I'll work on the screenshot as soon as I bring Prinergy back online. Working out some other issues atm.

However, I don't think its this current setup that may be causing the problem. Because I can crash it regardless of the setup. It even crashed when I tried testing colorflow on the Primary or Secondary prinergy server.

I'd like to be able to capture the error messages better but it always freaks out.

01-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I deleted some of the sensitive stuff...

try Kailua2.rtf.sitx at the same location

what exactly were you looking for?

02-04-2011, 09:10 PM

I went from 4GB of ram to 16GB on the Mac workstation. Not only has Colorflow not crashed, but it moves much faster.

Now all I need to do is get Prinergy upgraded to Win2008....

02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Glad to hear the good news!