View Full Version : How many ColorSetup do I need?

02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Do I need as many ColorSetups as I have line screen and paper combinations?

Suppose C3 is my PCO. Then I have a 150lpi setting on pressA, pressB and pressC that have nothing with each other. So I use three different characterizations. But what if I also need a setting to print C3 at 175lpi, 200lpi and Staccato25? For which I have fresh characterizations of each.

Am I potentially looking at 3 + 3 = 6 different ColorSetups, just for C3?

I can see that this is where this is heading.

I have a question, though, regarding Refine. What about all those jobs that client send in, destined for C3 printing, will we have to change the Job Attribute each time to match each of our C3 Device Conditions, in order to refine the job, so that we don't get error messages on output when selecting line screen and what not?

02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
No, I don't think you need 6 color setups. I think you need one for C3. Pick a line screen and paper combination that meets the C3 spec, which I believe is 133lpi. Add that as the device condition within your PCO. Aim that device condition to SWOP C3. Now add all of your other device conditions as SCOs.

Obviously, you don't want your 150lpi press response aimed to SWOP to look different than your 133lpi response, so keep them within one Color Setup. Remember, a color setup is the container for your device conditions to share a common color GOAL.

02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
OK. I am probably going about this the wrong way. I did call RC but I don't find their answer satisfactory. So, here goes.

Again, one common PCO and a number of SCOs, each representing different output conditions, 150lpi, 175lpi, Staccato and so on.

How is this system intended to be used?

Are we expected to create as many "Devices" as there are screening/sustrate combinations?

Thus far, I have only create four devices, one device corresponding to each presses. And then, under each SCO (instances of those Devices, I presume), that's where I select a combination of Device Condition Properties that is unique.

a = 150lpi + C3
b = 175lpi + C3
c = Staccato + C3

Is that the way this was designed to work?

My other question, which was the whole reason for logging that RC call, is why do I have to come up with unique Device Condition Properties combinations?

Suppose I create an SCO for Press X as Screening=150lpi + Substate=C3 + Other=Nothing. Why then when I try to create an SCO for the same Press but with a different Properties combination, ColorFlow insists on using *an existing device condition"? Suppose my second SCO is made up of Screening=150lpi but Substrate=C5, instead of C3 : why doesn't the software sees this as a "separate" device condition?

02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I have one PCO and about 60+ SCOs in one setup.

6 possible line screens, 3 different inks, 2 presses, 3 different papers...
Then there's 4 different proofers, 3 different papers...

I tried breaking them down smaller into different color setups but it resulted in some serious refine confusion. And it was even worse when the job changed at the last minute and everything had to be refined again.

02-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I think I mean 60+ devices. Not SCOs.