PDA

View Full Version : Fold Marks as Dashed Lines

rgoodman
04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Is it just me? Everything I've ever been taught and with over 20 years in the graphics/printing business: aren't fold marks supposed to be indicated by a dashed line? Yet, in Preps the default in a solid line. Isn't a solid line used for crop (trim) marks?

We've been indicating folds in our forms using a Preps static mark and creating a dashed line .25" long and manually placing these on the forms by the numbers.

We'd really like to be able to use the new smart fold marks feature, but again these are non-dashed lines. So, is there anyway a user can change the default smart fold lines to dashed lines?

And while I'm here, I thing a nice feature to add would be when an operator uses the "Add Crop Mark" feature:

1) add a keyboard command

2) there should be two buttons: "All On" and "All Off"

3) and the ability to toggle between different types of lines: solid or dashed

eduardo
04-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Is it just me? Everything I've ever been taught and with over 20 years in the graphics/printing business: aren't fold marks supposed to be indicated by a dashed line? Yet, in Preps the default in a solid line. Isn't a solid line used for crop (trim) marks?

We've been indicating folds in our forms using a Preps static mark and creating a dashed line .25" long and manually placing these on the forms by the numbers.

Hi,

We are using the Line Smart Mark, but i'm needing to edit the gaps/dash values. This is possible?

regards

sequoyah
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
With all due respect, I think it is just you. I have never heard of a printed job getting folded on the crop marks or getting cut on the fold marks due to this lack of differentiation between these kinds of marks. The rule of using dashed/solid lines is reminiscent of the one about using two spaces between sentences when typing. It is not needed any more.

Al Ferrari

rgoodman
04-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi,

We are using the Line Smart Mark, but i'm needing to edit the gaps/dash values. This is possible?

regards

(Don't call me Norton, call me:) Eduardo:

What version of Preps are you using? Are you able to edit the gaps/dash values? I can't seem to find that setting in my Smart Line Marks in our version (5.1)

Sorry for the "Honeymooners" reference, but it is Friday.

rgoodman
04-28-2006, 02:50 PM
With all due respect, I think it is just you. I have never heard of a printed job getting folded on the crop marks or getting cut on the fold marks due to this lack of differentiation between these kinds of marks. The rule of using dashed/solid lines is reminiscent of the one about using two spaces between sentences when typing. It is not needed any more.

Al Ferrari

I was afraid I'd get an answer like that. Still, it would be nice to differentiate the marks so things are made clear all the way from the customer to prepress to the press people to the bindery. Guess we'll keep doing things the "manual" way until a better answer shows up.

sequoyah
04-28-2006, 05:14 PM
One option you may want to try is to lengthen the fold mark. There is an entry in the default.cfg file for -AMERICAN_FOLD_MARK_LENGTH:36.0000.