View Full Version : Fade Resistant inks and Colorflow

03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Is anyone else using Colorflow for their fade resistant inks? Anyone want to help me interpret what colorflow might be doing? I still think this is an ink problem.

Our success rate with the fade resistant ink varies from job to job. As suggested by the ink manufacturer, our fade resistant yellow and magenta is cut 50/50 with regular process ink.

At first I thought our problems were due to inconsistency when mixing the inks. I've done enough mixes and press profiles to rule that out. The resulting plate curves from Colorflow are basically the same every time. (see colorflow curves)

Yellow gets a huge bump and magenta gets pulled way down. Ink trapping and dot gain is normal every time. Now when we get to live jobs some are fine. However, as you can see by the curves, whenever theres a yellow-heavy job the yellow simply overpowers EVERYTHING. I end up having to bring down yellow and pumping up the magenta, A LOT.

I'm thinking I'm better off trying a different line of ink than banging my head on this one.

03-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry but what's fade resistant inks?

03-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Normal process ink but the Magenta and Yellow has been spiked so that they're opaque instead of translucent. That way they won't fade as quickly when exposed to the sun.
The opacity is what makes using them a pain in the butt.

It's odd though, our UV inks are opaque and colorflow does a great job of generating curves.

Anyhow, I have a different (and newer) line of fade resistant inks en route... We'll see how that goes.