View Full Version : Color manage Page Marks

03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
How do you color manage Page Marks?

We are placing the IDEAlliance control strip on our proofs as a Prinergy Page Mark but my devicelink isn't being applied to my marks.

03-03-2011, 10:47 PM
"Process Marks" in the Color convert section.

03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
That's what I thought but it doesn't seem to be working.

So... For a test, I have a pdf file of the control strip as a page in Prinergy and when I output the page to our proofer I edit our Loose Page Proof process plan and point the Page Mark to the actual subpage of the file placed in Prinergy and they look completely different.

03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Isn't there a section in your process template called Marks? There should be an option to Calibrate. I've played with it on both plates and proofs and it changed whether it was on or off.

03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I've tried the Calibrate and Process Marks check boxes and the mark still comes out "unmanaged".

03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Just a hunch... do you have overprint handling on in the color convert section? If not, give it a try. Are you looking at the result in VPS or in some contone proof?

03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
That was it.

For a test I tired all of the options and combinations using; Calibrate, Process Marks and Overprint Handling and it looks like we need Process Marks and Overprint Handling both checked to color manage our Page Marks.

Thanks Dave.

oh and by the way, contone proof.

03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Good. Just to clarify a point for other users, the "Calibrate" checkbox in the Marks section does not apply color management, it applies the Print calibration curve that has been created (in ColorFlow or Harmony) to the mark in question.

03-10-2011, 10:27 PM
why would Overprint Handling affect color management?

03-10-2011, 10:38 PM
If an object is set to overprint, it does not get color managed. If you turn overprint handling on, a new composite object will be created and consequently color converted.

03-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Good to know. I'm going to have to mess with this. Does it apply to anything set to overprint or just the pagemarks?

If I set a picture box in Quark to overprint it (Colorflow) will ignore it?

03-10-2011, 10:58 PM
This applies to any overprinting object and it is not a colorflow-specific behaviour. This is how Prinergy has behaved since day one.

03-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Also good to know. It looks like we always have had Overprint off during the refine and ON during outputs.

That said... I think I remember being told that Colorflow's Color Input option had not been implemented when I was trained. Is that still the case? (I was just wondering what during the refine could affect Overprint handling...)