PDA

View Full Version : INk Opt and DeviceN trap

rwilsondum
03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
We are encountering issues on output using Colorflow Ink Optimization with PDF files supplied with DeviceN trap.
Using an Ink Optimized colorflow colorsetup in Prinergy for optimization on output. The final output PT has overprint Handling activated in Color Convert. On Output, the deviceN trap (with an alternate CMY colorspace) does not overprint and disapears so that the text is illegible.
With overprint Handling turned off the output appears fine but we get the following warnings in the prinergy processing details 'Encountered overprinted object(s) Color Match was not performed for these objects'.
What issues might be encountered by turning overprint handling off in the final output?
These deviceN trap files are very prevalent in ads supplied for major publications.
Refining with a rich black overprint is not an option.
Thanks

david.herder
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM
How important is it for you to color match your traps (one type of overprint object)? Are there other overprinting objects in the file that you would like to optimize other than the traps? If not, then there is no downside to disabling the Overprint Handling IMO.

regards,
dave

rwilsondum
03-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi Dave, Non color matched traps wouldn't be the end of the world..... I am sure there will be other overprinted elements, but in the grand scheme of things it won't make a huge impact on ink savings. I guess I was more concerned with any anomolies it might cause. I suppose more testing the appropriate thing at this point.
Thanks
Rob

rogerB
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Dave,

Technically, in an ink savings workflow, wouldn't trapping better left AFTER color conversion?

Does PGY support trapping on Output?

Best / Roger

rwilsondum
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Dave,
I have a page with a DeviceN background that will not process properly using IO on output no matter whether I have overprint handling ON or OFF in the final output PT. The only way to get the page to IO output properly is to make rich black overprint in the refine. The files (ads) we get from publishers are not to be refined. (liability) plus overprinting rich black on all pages is a dangerous practice. This is a real world file issue that makes Ink Optimization on output a liability for us. I realize that if we catch the issues, via loose page VPS or Imposition VPS they are fixable, but this adds time and liability to the scenario.
Still looking for a solution.
Thanks
Rob