PDA

View Full Version : Indesign export settings and Colorflow

rriegger
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
We have a client that has sent us a Photoshop tiff with an embedded profile. We place the file and Indesign and export a pdf for Prinergy.

What should our export settings be for the following options:
Color conversion
Destination
Profile Inclusion Policy

This may seem like a elementary question but I have tried several different combination's all with different results and want to know what is the "right" way to export their files.

FWIW, in Prinergy have Colorflow enabled and special Color setup for this customer.

Thanks.

david.herder
04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey Rick,
I'm assuming the profile is a CMYK profile and the reason behind embedding is that they want you to separate according to that CMYK profile. Is this right?

If so, then I imagine that you have a special color setup in Prinergy defined with the PCO to equal that embedded profile. In this case, honoring the profile in the refine stage of Prinergy doesn't really do anything since the embedded profile equals the PCO profile in your color setup. So, in this case, enabling CMYK conversion in Prinergy doesn't add anything of value.

The behaviour of InDesign has changed over the years, so it is definitely a challenge to come up with the one answer to your query regarding the best settings to use. Given your situation, and looking at CS4, I've attached some screenshots of settings that you can start with.

Essentially, you are not converting anything in InDesign and are preserving numbers of all images. As far as profile inclusion policy, you are including the source profiles for RGB and CMYK as source ICC profiles. Really, the important condition here is the RGB, since you have already setup the CMYK tagged profile in your color setup.

dave

rriegger
04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Dave,

To answer your first question, yes, it is a CMYK profile.

In Prinergy I created a special refine process plan just for this customer. The attached screen shot shows my refine settings. What about the "Override Embedded Profiles" options in the refine process plan, should these be checked, unchecked or does it matter?

I have Colorflow setup as follows:
The PCO is the a CMYK reference in which I imported the customers profile. For the device condition properties I selected "Digital Halftone Proofer - Approval". I picked this since the supplied profile was supposedly made from their Kodak Approval.

The Secondary Color Output is our inkjet proofer and is using measurement data from an IT874 target that was output without color management applied. For the conversion I chose Full Reseparation.

I added the press as a another Secondary Color Output and imported linear spectral data from a press fingerprint. For conversion I chose Gray Balance and Color and Black Purity Maintain Solids.

Does this sound right? Let me know if there is a better way to do this. Perhaps Option 2?

Thanks,
Rick

david.herder
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Rick,

Nice photoshop work.

In your "Group" color setup with PCO = Group.2, I would think that you should honor the embedded ICC profile from your customer. In which case, I would recommend disabling the "Override Embedded Profiles" option in your PT. This way, the embedded profile will serve as the source profile and your PCO "Group.2" profile will be your destination. Of course, you could do the exact same thing by enabling "Override embedded Profiles" and adding a Color Input in ColorFlow that contains the customer's embedded profile and defining the PCO as your printing specification. However, in this particular case your printing specification is being dictated to you, so I think your current setup of defining the PCO = Customer's Approval is the correct decision.

Essentially what you are doing now is stripping the profile and performing no conversion in Prinergy (you are overriding the embedded profile with nothing --- the CMYK images and Graphics checkboxes disabled). Performing the CMYK reseparation on input, whether through embedded source profiles or by defining a CMYK color input, will attempt to create a separation that matches the customer's color input space.

Option 2
Define the PCO as your press, but select the simulation target to be "Group.2" (your supplied customer reference). This is what you are selling them, and is what should be your PCO color response. Add the SCO to be your inkjet proofer and you will be able to get a better idea through proofing what you are printing today.

dave

rriegger
04-08-2011, 01:23 AM
If I stick with the original option and "Overide Embedded Profiles" I get a very close match to the customer proof. I made a slight tweak to the devicelink in yellow shadows and the cyan highlights and hit their "problem" color on their proof within 1 delta. Yeah.

Now should I make the same adjustment to the devicelink between the SCO of the press and the CMYK reference PCO?

I'll play around with option 2 when I get a chance but we have to plate this job and run it by Monday. Also this work typically runs on several different presses.

Thanks & cheers.

rriegger
04-08-2011, 01:37 AM
I thought I would try this.. see the screen shot, but I get an error when trying to output to our proofer.

rriegger
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I approved the current color setup and applied that in Prinergy. That seems to have solved the error when outputting the proof.

Weird thing was looking at the diagnositc viewer on the primary server it said if couldn't locate Colorflow capture #17. Well the one I was trying to use in Prinergy was #23. Anyways just Approving it solved the error.

david.herder
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Hey Rick,
Glad you resolved this. The error could have come from a Process Template that referred to an earlier snapshot, since the act of opening a PT with an old snapshot will still poll the colorflow server to see if it exists or not. If it doesn't, you'd still get an error message in diagview.

dave

mdelaney2bo
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I thought I would try this.. see the screen shot, but I get an error when trying to output to our proofer.

Just curious, why did you use the proofer as your PCO?

rriegger
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
I used the proofer as the PCO because our client was adamant that our proof matched theirs.

I originally thought about using a CMYK reference as the PCO and importing their supplied icc profile but ultimately we would have to print this job and our press would have to match the proofer.

So... I figured if I used the proofer as the PCO and imported their profile I could then add our presses as SCO's and make the link between the two. The job ran on two different, but similar presses, so I pooled them. This way our M100 would match our M130 and that would theoretically match the proof.

We're still learning ColorFlow and I'll be the first to admit this could be a completely messed up way to do it but, end of the day our customer was very happy with the proof and we were able to hit it on press.

This would have been sooo much easier if they just sent us a GRACoL proof.

Rick

mdelaney2bo
04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I see. We have used a CMYK reference profile as a PCO with most of our device conditions, then had both the press and the proofer as SCOs. I would be curious to see if you had different results to the proofer or the press if you did it this way. Theoretically, it should work the same. Sounds like you have it working pretty well.

rriegger
04-20-2011, 08:24 PM
We have used a CMYK reference profile as a PCO with most of our device conditions, then had both the press and the proofer as SCOs.

Actually that is how we have most of our work set up.