PDA

View Full Version : Planned change for ColorFlow and PGY

rogerB
04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm inquiring about the status of planned changes to build in multiple sources profiles in the same job. Right now, as we all know, only one ColorSetup can be assigned for a given job. It's a global setting. When can we expect to have ColorSetups applicable at the signature level? So that, within one job, we can continue mixing and matching covers and interiors and posters and BRM and what not, while still enjoying the benefit on integrated ColorFlow color management?

Best / Roger

david.herder
04-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi Roger,
You can have multiple color setups in a job as of today. In fact, you can have a different color setup associated for every single page if you want to (although this seems pretty unlikely). The problem, as you know, is what to do with the color matching and curve assignment of sheet marks. Historically, these objects were assigned the job color setup. This is limiting in that you may have a job that has signatures for both coated and uncoated work. So, the workaround is that you would have to switch the job attributes to select the correct default color setup on output to align to the correct color setup for the sheet mark.

As of Prinergy 5.1.2.3, this behaviour has been improved in that you do not have to modify the job default color setup for output. The behaviour is as follows:
If you have all pages sharing a common color setup, the sheet mark is assigned that color setup, not the one from the job default (if the job default color setup is different).

This should satisfactorily resolve the issue.

regards,
dave

rogerB
04-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Dave,

First, I am curious as to how "I can have multiple color setups in a job as of today". I only see one interface in the job to change ColorSetup and that's in JobAttributes. How is that possible? I'd like to experiment with this right away!

Second, what do you mean by "the color matching and curve assignment of sheet marks"? If ColorSetups can be assigned at the signature level, where is the problem?

You write "This is limiting in that you may have a job that has signatures for both coated and uncoated work". Do you mean the SAME signature for printing on coated paper and uncoated paper? I don't see how that could be a problem, again. Just send the same signature to separate Process Templates for FinalOutput while ColorSetup assigned to Signatures can be re-assigned. But please excuse my ignorance, I fail to see in what kind of industry such an exotic workflow needs to be practiced.

Why would one needs to color manage sheet marks is beyond me in the first place. Are we talking color bars?

Finally, you wrote: "If you have all pages sharing a common color setup, the sheet mark is assigned that color setup, not the one from the job default (if the job default color setup is different)." I don't get this (sorry to be dense) but the problem is that we can't have all pages share a common color setup in a given job!!

I am so sorry I have a tiny brain and can only follow such a small fraction of your explanations :(

Right now, and until Kodak comes up with a better ColorFlow integration, we have to forgo the integration alltogether, exporting Gray Balance curves to Harmony and export InkSavings setups as DeviceLinks for selecting under ColorConvert. Sadly.

Best / Roger

mdelaney2bo
04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Roger, what Dave is referring to specific to the "multiple color setups in a job" is that you can assign any color setup you want in the ColorFlow Tab during the refine process. In some cases we have jobs that have coated covers running sheetfed, and uncoated text running web. We will set the job up with Gracol as the primary color setup, but then we will refine the text pages and assign our uncoated color setup.

The problem with this is that during final output, the uncoated text signatures will fail due to the fact that they do not match the main color setup of the job. You are correct, it is the color bars and other imposition marks that are causing the problem.

We are completely migrated over, and have been for quite a while. We are managing Gracol C1, SWOP C3, SWOP C5 and uncoated conditions on sheetfed and web presses, and proof to Epson 9800 and 9900. It is working well for us. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.