PDA

View Full Version : A-PDF Content Splitter

Lhaase
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
We have variable data printing (VDP) customers that give us spreadsheets used to create PDFs with hundreds of variable pages in each file. The trick is that they wanted us to post individual pages to InSite with unique file names based on some variable content inside each page. The thought of renaming hundreds of files by hand sent us searching for an automated solution. We found that A-PDF Content Splitter did an excellent job of chewing through a hundred page PDF, splitting and renaming them to individual PDFs very quickly. What a huge time saver. Here's the link to check it out yourself;
http://www.a-pdf.com/content-splitter/index.htm

jcallis
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Very nice utility by the looks of it. Although not as feature rich thought I'd mention a JavaScript that can be used in Acrobat to split into single pages. Somewhat handy now and then.

In Acrobat menus go to:
Advavanced -> Document Processing -> Batch Processing -> New Sequence
Name the batch sequence.
Choose Execute JavaScript and click add.
Click edit.
Paste the code below in the JavaScript editor window.
You will need to set the option of what ot run on and where to save results.

/* EXTRACT IN SINGLE PAGES */
var filename = "_Extract";
var nihe=1;
try {
for ( var i = 0; i < this.numPages; i+=1) {
var lastPage = i + 0;
if (lastPage>=this.numPages)
lastPage = this.numPages-1;
var filePath = util.printf("%04d",i/1+1) + "_" + this.documentFileName;
this.extractPages ({
nStart: i,
nEnd: lastPage,
cPath: filePath
});
}
} catch (e) { console.println("Aborted: " + e) }

Lhaase
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks John....very handy script. I had found http://www.evermap.com/javascript.asp, which has a few scripts and links to Adobe pages to learn more about scripting Acrobat. Do you know of any better resources for Acrobat scripts?

The beauty of the A-PDF Content Splitter is that it can rename each new PDF file it creates based on user defined area of text inside each page, which is something I couldn't figure out how to script. On a VDP job this gives me the ability to name each PDF as it exists in the original database. The naming is very powerful and can be a mix of multiple fields.

jcallis
12-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey Loren,

Can't say I know of any better place. I've had a medium amount of luck with scripts but am certainly no expert on writing them from scratch. Being able to reference internal content of the PDF like you mention is very nice.

John